Fuji Focus difficulty at soccer games..

Davoe

Regular
I attended my grandsons' soccer games yesterday with my X-t1/55-200 combo. I used a monopod with OIS turned off at 1/500 sec. I followed the latest tips, performance on/mechanical shutter only. I tried many combinations of single, zone, and wide area tracking with AFS/AFC/MF. Also, switched to focus priority for both AFS and AFC. Tried CH and CL.

Too many out of focus shots! My best option was to manually focus on a plane of action and shoot or AFC with single focus point. I think there were just too many kids around the ball that confuses the other modes of focus.

Any suggestions Rico would be appreciated. I went back and read your new tips again and don't have any new next steps. Many more games ahead!

Seems like you are doing everything as it should be done. I'd use single-point AF or a small zone (everything in the PDAF enabled area) and track my target (a specific player) with AF-C and CL burst mode. The 55-200 may not be as fast as the 50-140mm zoom, though, which is my current weapon of choice.

HPM and MS are a given, but you already mentioned that.

Back