Fuji Focus problems with 27mm lens?

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
I've got one of these coming today (courtesy of John Griggs), and I'm wondering if you guys could confirm something for me. The filter threads are attached to the front lens element structure, which moves in and out as it focuses? What I'm used to and what I have on every other lens / camera is a clear filter / lens hood if possible up front so I can ditch lens caps for the bag when I'm out and about. But I don't like the idea of putting any pressure on a moving, motorized part. Am I out of luck with the 27?

Yes it moves. I'm using high quality clear/uv filters (b+w, nikon NC) as well. Just don't want to think about the front element... So following this logic I was also worried about xf27 and thw filter thread.

But, this lens really does not need it. Front glass is quite small and recessed therefore I feel comfortable using it without the filter. And if something happens, well f-it...

However, I wouldn't buy this lens again. IQ is not so good, and I am willing to pay premium to Fuji only for the IQ. Its small but not that small, so that is not a real benefit...

yeap, external focusing. i don't bother with a filter on mine though i have two in different sizes. i do however always keep a step-up ring on mine that possibly acts as a shallow hood. and if i ever want to use a cpl or fader, it will less likely cause any vignetting.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

No filter on mine. It adds roughly10% to the overall length if I do. I have glued two end-caps back to back (the secret is to put an old SD card in between for stability) it then lives at the other end of my 14mm in my bag. As per the comments above I'm not too bothered about protecting the front element.

Did you by any chance test AF consistency of your camera&xf 27mm combination. It was finally sunny where I live so I went out for a walk and taking pictures... Anyway I just came home, and again I find a lot of soft pics in my camera. I fing that when focusing on a subject at about 2 meters or beyond, the camera (xe1) focuses quite inconsistent. I am shooting at a contrasty object and getting focus from ~2.2 to ~2.9 meters. Its all over the place - never seems to guess distance similar to the previous one...

I just don't have luck with photo equipment

Did you by any chance test AF consistency of your camera&xf 27mm combination. It was finally sunny where I live so I went out for a walk and taking pictures... Anyway I just came home, and again I find a lot of soft pics in my camera. I fing that when focusing on a subject at about 2 meters or beyond, the camera (xe1) focuses quite inconsistent. I am shooting at a contrasty object and getting focus from ~2.2 to ~2.9 meters. Its all over the place - never seems to guess distance similar to the previous one...

I just don't have luck with photo equipment

Sorry to hear (read) that.. my copy works perfectly on the X-T1. I don't have the X-E1 though..

i've only ever had the 27 with the xtrans ii sensor (my XE2 & XT1s). though contrast should be more accurate, maybe it's the slower speed of the exr i processor that's making you miss shots? i'm just throwing gibberish out there.

what's your settings? maybe test shoot a static object from a tripod and show us the image.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I've shoot fixed object filling the focus square - AF-S, shutter speed above 200, f5.6. Handheld but steady, front seating position. With each half press the camera focuses at different distance - with variance of about 0.7 meters. Very erratic behavior.

I've shoot fixed object filling the focus square - AF-S, shutter speed above 200, f5.6. Handheld but steady, front seating position. With each half press the camera focuses at different distance - with variance of about 0.7 meters. Very erratic behavior.

Is that your only lens? If you have another lens, see if it displays the same behavior.

Yes the same thought crossed my mind. Unfortunately my xf18-55 is still in the store, waiting to be replaced. It was loose in the mount and OIS did not work properly (it blurred images as higher shutter speeds). As I said - really no luck with the photo gear!

Yes the same thought crossed my mind. Unfortunately my xf18-55 is still in the store, waiting to be replaced. It was loose in the mount and OIS did not work properly (it blurred images as higher shutter speeds). As I said - really no luck with the photo gear!

That's a shame.. :(

You can see in the recording that the focus is quite inconsistent - all over the distance between 2 and 3 meters. By my count only 20% of focuses were accurate. Even for PDAF standards this is bad! And with contrast detection I expected much better results - maybe 10% of misses and not a % more.

Focus box is mid-size (two steps from the smallest possible value). I'm shooting at objects with clear contrast so it should not be the issue. What I found is that, when taking pictures of close objects - within one meter of distance - I get more consistent results. It still misses but not so often...

Its a ****ty camera or a ****ty lens... And I'm stupid to have purchased it.

Whilst I feel your frustration, I cannot help but think that you need to go through a structured process of elimination on this, possibly with the help of a friendly dealer, to try the lens on another body and vice versa. Others don't seem to be reporting the same problems.

Thank you for your advice. Hopefully I will receive 18-55 replacement soon, so that I can test this. Anyway I do not remember that I got so many out of focus images with my old 18-55. Images were consistently sharp with OIS off (when turned on, it was malfunctioning and introducing random blur from time to time).
I do not have any Fuji dealer (or any other serious photo gear dealer for that matter) in my country. I purchased my gear in the neighboring country. So, unfortunately I can't do what you suggested. Yes yes, I'm complicated... :)

Somebody changed my thread title, I think. Interesting, and more accurate now as-is for what the thread turned into. So speaking of focus problems...

I got the lens from John. I had a chance last night and this morning to rattle off maybe 30 or 40 shots with it in different situations, and I've got something erratic that I could use help figuring out. There's something going on with center sharpness sometimes being VERY soft compared to the corners. It isn't focus, either, because corner objects at the same distance (hundreds of feet away) are crisp while center objects are fuzzy. And then in other shots, everything is perfectly acceptably clear. My first thought was "f stop" but I haven't been able to make that theory work yet. Some examples...

Here's a shot where the center is fine. Bright light, focus distance of maybe 50 feet, please feel free to dig through the exif info...

14108881063_1dce8be03e_c.jpg
DSCF1748 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And a center crop. I'm fine with this level of sharpness from this tiny lens:

13902199427_b9c4d97232_c.jpg
DSCF1748center by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Ok, now onto the more problematic stuff. I did 7 shots in a row of the same scene, testing out my presets. When I viewed all 7, they were fuzzy as all getout in the center.

Full shot:
13902216718_9f0367496f_c.jpg
DSCF1760 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Crop from center... bad bad bad:

14108879513_0cc2875850_c.jpg
DSCF1760center by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Crop from far right... much better. What the hell?

14089267724_989a71535a_c.jpg
DSCF1760right by gordopuggy, on Flickr

The lens is CAPABLE of being wonderfully sharp. Here's a full shot at 2.8:

14089268284_592a2a7153_c.jpg
DSCF1772 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

...and the center crop. This is fantastic for wide open:

14085674732_9aa402a5bd_c.jpg
DSCF1772center by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And finally another longer focal length shot, with a nice crisp center.

View attachment 20444DSCF1775 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

View attachment 20445DSCF1775center by gordopuggy, on Flickr

So if anyone can explain that, I'd be thrilled.

Back