Fuji Focus problems with 27mm lens?

Many lenses are designed to focus past infinity - as I recall this was originally to provide tolerance for variations due to extremes of temperature - literally, expansion and contraction.

Ok, but the mystery here is related to focusing issues and, in Ramsey's case, blurry landscapes (at least in center of the image). I don't understand his conclusion - did he identify cause?

I followed comments from poster (I don't remember was it here in another forum) and tried focusing with AE-L/AF-L button in manual focus mode. For some reason I'm getting more accurate (getting correct distance) and much more consistent results (repeatedly getting similar focus distances). It seems like the lens is moving its barrel with slower speed when the camera is in manual focus mode. And just to note: focusing box it the same size in both modes, camera is fixed on the same object, with consistent lightning. Basically, other then using additional step to achieve focus, I did not change anything else.

So can anybody explain this?

UPDATE: forget about this. After some more extensive tests I find the same inconsistent sh*ty AF performance. Money well thrown away...

Here's what happened:

1. I went to shoot 7x of the same scene to test out my custom profiles. So I set the camera to MF (to make sure it was the same for each shot), cranked the lens ring all the way out til the distance scale said I was focused all the way out, and rattled off 7 shots. Then, pixel peeping, I saw fuzziness in the center of those shots, but not the other shots I had taken minutes later (on AF).
2. The next day I tried it again, in MF, going out as far as it would let me. Then I did the same scene but on AF. Peeping in the camera at 100%, the MF shot was MUCH fuzzier in the center than the AF shot.
3. This weekend I ran into my buddy, who had his XE-1 and XF 27 with him. He did the experiment, and had the same result. It's not subtle, it's strongly clear at 100%.

So the deal is that... the 27 will MF past infinity.

Ok thank you for clarification. I didn't understand at first that you are experiencing issues at infinity focus. My lens unfortunately exhibits focus consistency issues at shorter distances.

Kyle tells me this has been straightened out pretty much, which is good. I didn't have any problems with it but I never used it in manual focus mode. I actually found it to be a very sharp lens actually -- it's just not as good as the 35mm or as useful as the 23mm to me and it seldom found it's way onto my cameras.

Apparently if you just push it to the end of it's focus range, it is focusing past infinity. I've had a lot of lenses like that so it doesn't surprise me, but if you're not expecting it, it can be dismaying.

What John said.

I'm glad you sorted it out before I saw this thread or I would have been doing some serious bumming and offering you your money back -- which I hate. I'm basically a "Ferengi" from Star Trek and one of the Rules of Acquisition is: "Once you have the customer's money, you never give it back." ;-)

Back