Focusing issues with my DSLR's VF, not sure what the problem is.

I was only partially joking on the M, but for the record, yes, the M's sensor is the same as the latest Rebels AFAIK, and that is a generation newer than the 7D. I could be wrong, though.

No Canon expert, but my understanding is that it's the same sensor. Canon didn't do a "generation" of sensor very often in this period which was a criticism of them -- but the sensor was good enough it really wasn't necessary.

That being said, manufacturing improvements might have made the later sensors somewhat better.

Did some quick research to be more precised:

The M has an improved LV focus zone. The M has the same sensor as the T4i. Canon EOS M hands-on preview. From DPR on the T4i "The Canon EOS 650D/ Rebel T4i/ Kiss X6 is the an 18MP touch-screen DSLR with a sensor-based hybrid AF system for improved focus in movie and live view modes." That hybrid AF system is newer than the 7D.

The 7D has the same sensor as the T2i. The M has the same sensor as the T4i. I think the M2 (Japan only) has the T5i sensor.

The 7D, btw, was released in Sept 2009. The T4i in June 2012.

Having said all that, DXO marks the 650D sensor as lower than the 7D, so my mistake there Canon EOS 650D vs Canon EOS 7D vs though the LV AF is better. I don't know if that's because the smaller body causes the sensor to heat up a bit more, or if because the hybrid AF saps some of the sensor's ability. They're pretty close, but the 7D rates a wee bit ahead.

Back