Feedback Following a member

Sorry for the stupid question: what happens when I follow another member? What should I be looking for? I have not noticed any effect. Many thanks!
No stupid questions, it's impossible for anybody to know what every single option of a site might do. :) Plus with constant software updates there are always things being added or changed so even folks who have been using it for years may not be aware of what some things do.

XenForo (XF), the software use for our community here, started life strictly as a forum package. Over the course of time it has been slowly (really, really slowly) adding things to make it more like 'social' software. Being able to 'follow' another member is one of those things that users of social media sites would be familiar with but with XF it isn't really clear what it does as it is still evolving.

Under the "What's new" tab there is an option called "Your news feed". The is a page similar to the "Latest activity" but is personalized to just the members that you follow. If there are certain members that you want to see what they've been up to lately at a glance, this is the best way of doing it.

The other big part where "follow" comes into play is your privacy options. If you click on your account settings and then into the Privacy settings there are some options at the bottom of the screen to restrict who can see certain parts of your content. For example, you might want to prevent any members from sending you a private conversation unless it is somebody that you have chosen. How you could do that is to 'follow' the other person and then in your privacy settings under the "Start conversations with you" option, change the drop-down menu from the default of "Members only" to "People you follow".

There some other places where 'follow' pops up, like on the profile 'About' page that shows who is following you, but the two items above are really the two things matter most. 👍

No stupid questions, it's impossible for anybody to know what every single option of a site might do. :) Plus with constant software updates there are always things being added or changed so even folks who have been using it for years may not be aware of what some things do.

XenForo (XF), the software use for our community here, started life strictly as a forum package. Over the course of time it has been slowly (really, really slowly) adding things to make it more like 'social' software. Being able to 'follow' another member is one of those things that users of social media sites would be familiar with but with XF it isn't really clear what it does as it is still evolving.

Under the "What's new" tab there is an option called "Your news feed". The is a page similar to the "Latest activity" but is personalized to just the members that you follow. If there are certain members that you want to see what they've been up to lately at a glance, this is the best way of doing it.

The other big part where "follow" comes into play is your privacy options. If you click on your account settings and then into the Privacy settings there are some options at the bottom of the screen to restrict who can see certain parts of your content. For example, you might want to prevent any members from sending you a private conversation unless it is somebody that you have chosen. How you could do that is to 'follow' the other person and then in your privacy settings under the "Start conversations with you" option, change the drop-down menu from the default of "Members only" to "People you follow".

There some other places where 'follow' pops up, like on the profile 'About' page that shows who is following you, but the two items above are really the two things matter most. 👍
Many thanks, Kevin. You explained it perfectly, and I would never have discovered this by myself.

I took up a new project recently to try to live my life like I’m on social media. When someone says something good, I give them a thumbs up and say “Like.” I reply to people I don’t really know, giving them advice, sometimes taking over the conversation. I randomly share personal things people didn’t ask about and possibly didn’t want to know. I‘ll talk about what I had for dinner, and share random thoughts out of nowhere. Things are starting to pick up, as I now have 10 followers. 2 detectives, 3 psychologists, 4 news reporters, and a therapist.

Back