Micro 4/3 For an LX100 - JJC ALC-LX100 Auto Lens Cap? Filter?

Worth getting?

• JJC - Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • JJC - No - Doesn't work well

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • JJC - No - Why bother / no need?

• JJC - No - Get the Panasonic, it's better

• Filter - Yes - Get a filter

• Filter - No - Auto cap is enough

• Filter - No - I do use not stink'n filters

• Total voters
I'm sorry, is the Camera Ergonomics Blog yours'? While the writer uses it, he spent a good amount of time writing about what he fines wrong with it. It is an interesting read with a lot of information. I just can't figure out if he like the camera or not.

The camera ergonomics blog is NOT mine. Sorry if I got confused about which "he" you were referring to.

Cheers, Jock

Now why would you think that?

The LX100 is part of my two-camera solution, and I do, indeed, like the LX100; it's my see-in-the-dark camera. The other half of the two Camera solution is the Fz200, and it is actually, for everyday usage and the kind of photography that I do most often, the FZ200 is more versatile, by dint of the wider zoom range.

However -- and it's a big however -- at the margins of the day, the LX100 delivers the goods in terms of low-light sensitivity, dynamic range, and so forth.

I commend unto you this: Micro 4/3 - LX100 strikes again -- sunset at Oakwood Cemetery Christmas 2014

and this: Micro 4/3 - Panasonic LX100 – So Far, So Good

Cheers, Jock

My first productive indoor camera for events etc. was the LX3, then the LX7, then the LX100. Those cameras have the perfect combination of zoom range, lens and sensor quality, and ability to shoot handheld or braced up to ISO 800-1600 with low noise, for those environments. Here's one in a church at ISO 800 with the LX3, using a monopod, shot as JPEG only (no flash of course):

image.jpg

I bought the Panasonic cap online; I couldn't find the JJC, Panasonic or Leica version in a shop, so I couldn't test them first. Hence my buying decision was based on looks (the Panasonic looks more refined to my eyes without the hinge protrusions), and experience with JJC hoods (some good, some not so good). I was also unsure whether the JJC would be compatible with the LX100 leather case (DMW-PLS79XEK).

It would be nice to be able use a filter with the cap, just for protection. I think I read somewhere that the B+W XS-Pro is thin enough - if anyone can confirm that before I buy one that would be great. Just 007M or 010M.

I was also unsure whether the JJC would be compatible with the LX100 leather case (DMW-PLS79XEK).

It would be nice to be able use a filter with the cap, just for protection. I think I read somewhere that the B+W XS-Pro is thin enough - if anyone can confirm that before I buy one that would be great. Just 007M or 010M.
I tried the XS-Pro yesterday; the Panasonic magic cap does not close completely with that filter. I'll just have to cope. The front element is still well protected how I use the LX100 - the magic cap and the excellent LX100 leather case keep it safe.

I had the JJC auto cap. It's not quite as nice as the Panasonic one and of course very slightly bulkier but it did allow me to fit a UV filter. I use a cheap case I bought from Amazon. So far it's housed an LX7, an LX100 (both now gone), a Sony a6000, and a couple of different little film cameras. All in all it's been worth the £8 or so it cost me!

Back