For Miguel (Pen F vs E-P& vs.....

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
@MiguelATF Here's a true comparison with some others for good measure. Really surprised I don't have a picture with the hood and half case on the X70. :hmmm:

_C170347.jpgGR000840.jpg_DSF7108.jpgEM120011.jpgP1010069.jpg

Very cool comparison, David - thank you!

And one can easily see some shared design philosophies between Olympus and Fujifilm.
It's hard to avoid thinking that Fujifilm took some pretty extensive notes from the early Olympus offerings. Olympus was, after all, the first manufacturer who dared to put out retro-style mirrorless cameras.

It's hard to avoid thinking that Fujifilm took some pretty extensive notes from the early Olympus offerings. Olympus was, after all, the first manufacturer who dared to put out retro-style mirrorless cameras.
Fuji went retro with the X100, which came after the E-P1, but before the E-M5. I know what you mean, but I think that the retro RF/SLR styles were already pretty well established before Fuji and Olympus, although Olympus can certainly make a claim of the original small SLR with the OM-1. (Maybe Pentax with the MX?) I do think the X-S10 is very close the Olympus E-M1 models with the DSLR style controls.

As far as I'm aware, the ep-1 was the first mirrorless camera to go retro. It was also somewhat daring to offer the 17mm pancake and optical VF-1 finder as a kit. Olympus wasn't retro styled with their 4/3 DSLR offerings, and the world was pretty squarely in a modified 1990s-style DSLR trend at the time of the ep-1's release.

As far as I'm aware, the ep-1 was the first mirrorless camera to go retro. It was also somewhat daring to offer the 17mm pancake and optical VF-1 finder as a kit. Olympus wasn't retro styled with their 4/3 DSLR offerings, and the world was pretty squarely in a modified 1990s-style DSLR trend at the time of the ep-1's release.
I think it was. I still have one. I’ve always thought it was a beautiful camera.

I think it was. I still have one. I’ve always thought it was a beautiful camera.
I'm sorry I got rid of mine. I already had a more advanced 16mp sensor at the time (EM10) and was disappointed with the output some of the time with the ep-1, but I think I needed to learn the shooting envelope a little better.

Back