For the 'Bike Crew', do you guys use any apps when riding?

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
So lately I've been trying to get into better shape health-wise and this Summer the Mrs. & I have pledged to take advantage of some of the bike trails in the area and ride more. With that in mind I picked up already a Thule bike carrier from the local Trek store and have been scoping out the trails. The guy at the Trek store subtly let me know I was pronouncing "Thule" wrong.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys are using any apps to track your rides. I was looking at Google's apps but, jeez, it seems that they really like getting a fanbase for some of their apps and then killing them off. At a minimum I'll be tracking the activity on my Fitbit but it'd be nice if there was an app I could use to map out the rides and store the history. I'd be nice if there was something that integrated directly with Fitbit (so I don't have to remember to do something in 2 apps before a ride) but functionality always wins for me over convenience.

The two big ones are Strava, and RideWithGPS.

Strava has a free option, which is probably exactly what you want. The big attraction for most users of it is the social aspect, which I suspect you would hate. The super fit guys use it to see who else has done that route, how fast. They check up on each other, and brag when they do well. It's not my scene, but the app works wonderfully.

RideWithGPS I have used, when I had a working phone. It's more of a wayfinding app. Like Strava, it will track where you've been, how fast you went, etc. But there are some really great trails and maps people have set up for it, that you can download and follow.

Thanks for the info!

Reading up on the apps, it looks like Strava indeed will be what I'm likely after, of tracking for personal use my activity, and it integrates directly with Fitbit so that's definitely a bonus.

I'm at work today but I'll test out the integration later tonight when I go for my daily walk. From what I'm reading as long as I am carrying my phone with me (so that the Fitbit can use the phone's GPS) then the Fitbit data should automatically feed into the Strav account.

The social aspect of the apps is something I'll never use. Maybe some competitive fun with the Mrs. and that's it. I'm anti-social. :D

I tend to keep a tally of kilometres on my [simple, non-GPS] cyclocomputer, rather than an app or anything or involved. More km each week = progress. It's a simple approach, but it works for me.

I just use the standard Google Fit and Huawei Health app that goes along with my smart watches (Huawei watch/Huawei band pro 3)
Unfortunately Google Fit and Fitbit don't play with each other. :( There are 3rd party apps that'll act as a man-in-the-middle to synch data but at this point Fitbits have become pretty ubiquitous in the circle of family & friends so I'd be reluctant to move off of that ecosystem since I don't think I'd trust an unknown 3rd party with having access to multiple apps. On the Fitbit support sites there are a lot of requests for integration and the staff responses are pretty much dismissive. Fitbit though does another product called FitBit Plus which is only available through employers or insurance carriers and, what do 'ya know, that version of the app does support Google Fit integration. :mad:

I tend to keep a tally of kilometres on my [simple, non-GPS] cyclocomputer, rather than an app or anything or involved. More km each week = progress. It's a simple approach, but it works for me.
I honestly had no idea what a cyclocomputer was and had to look it up. :eek: For keeping a simple log of distance that seems like it'd be the easiest solution but since I already have a phone with me nearly 24/7 and invested in Fitbits then an app solution would be easiest for me. During the past 9 months I've lost a good amount of weight and part of the reason is the ease at which the Fitbit lets me track stuff.

Unfortunately Google Fit and Fitbit don't play with each other. :( There are 3rd party apps that'll act as a man-in-the-middle to synch data but at this point Fitbits have become pretty ubiquitous in the circle of family & friends so I'd be reluctant to move off of that ecosystem since I don't think I'd trust an unknown 3rd party with having access to multiple apps. On the Fitbit support sites there are a lot of requests for integration and the staff responses are pretty much dismissive. Fitbit though does another product called FitBit Plus which is only available through employers or insurance carriers and, what do 'ya know, that version of the app does support Google Fit integration. :mad:

I honestly had no idea what a cyclocomputer was and had to look it up. :eek: For keeping a simple log of distance that seems like it'd be the easiest solution but since I already have a phone with me nearly 24/7 and invested in Fitbits then an app solution would be easiest for me. During the past 9 months I've lost a good amount of weight and part of the reason is the ease at which the Fitbit lets me track stuff.

The Huawei band pro 3 is different than a Fitbit and it's app does integrate with Google Fit.

Back