Single In For the keen and relentless: Single in July 2020

Name
Matt
Start Date
Jul 1, 2020
End Date
Jul 31, 2020
Let me quote myself: It's that time of year again ... After having to postpone the Single in April 2020 due to the pandemic, I said I would be doing one of those challenges myself.

We have a broken rhythm now anyway, so we'll see what will establish itself as a viable solution in the future (I myself liked the nine month rhythm, but we can talk about it); suffice to say that so many of you, of us felt we should do a more focused (ha!) challenge again that I came to the conclusion that we should do it *now*.

So, whoever wants to join me in next month's challenge is invited to post in this thread, and as usual, I'll do the list; even though the announcement may come a bit late this time, there's no reason why we shouldn't start on time.

The rules of this more strict "Single in" contest are as follows:
  • Take and post (at least) one image per day during one month - and only one image to each day's thread; the image doesn't have to be posted on the same day it was taken, but regular participation is expected. You may or may not pick a specific theme or subject matter as well - all decisions in this regard are up to you.
  • Specify the gear you're going to use for the whole challenge - and stick to it as far as the challenge is concerned (accidents and issues excepted). Note: While we usually don't enforce this rule, experience shows that such a restriction can boost creativity.
  • Interact with other participants, talk about the images you take and see, your own experiences - in short, let's talk shop, have fun together and support each other. This way, we'll see everyone through. There will again be dedicated threads for "behind the scenes" talk as well as outtakes and everything else we may need.
As far as I am aware, these rules are the *original* ones - very strict, quite demanding - except for the single fact that you may still shoot for other purposes with different gear during the time of the challenge.

I'll provide daily treads - though should I be late or forgetful, don't hesitate to step in! I'll also updated this post with a developing list of participants.

N.B. If you find a "Single in" challenge too demanding, don't forget that there will still be the "Day to Day" threads you can pretty much post to whenever you want; in that challenge, hardly any rules apply.

M.

Participants and their chosen gear:
  • Andrew (@agentlossing): Panasonic GX9 with 20mm f/1.7 (withdrawn)
  • Bobby (@Bobby Tingle): Fujfilm X-Pro2 with 35mm f/1.4
  • Karen (@Briar): Leica M-E 240 with Summarit-M 50mm f/2.4
  • David (@davidzvi): Olympus PEN-F with (probably) Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
  • Don (@donlaw): Leica M10-P with Zeiss Biogon 35mm f/2
  • Steve (@drd1135): Olympus PEN E-P1 with 17mm f/2.8
  • Gordon (@gordo): Fujifilm X-H1 with adapted Voigtländer Ultron Classic 35mm f/2 (withdrawn)
  • Hanneke (@Hanneke): Fujifilm X-T20 with 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8
  • Jonathan (@Jonathan F/2): Sony A7 III with Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6
  • Sue (@kyteflyer): Ricoh GR II
  • Luke (@Luke): Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
  • Marlof (@marlof): Olympus PEN-F with 12mm f/2
  • Matero (@Matero): Canon EOS 5D III with 50mm f/1.2
  • Miguel (@MiguelATF): Ricoh GR II
  • John (@mnhoj): Olympus PEN E-P5 with 17mm f/1.8 (withdrawn)
  • Matt (@MoonMind): Ricoh GR III (yes, again - it's make or break this time ...)
  • Troy (@NoSeconds): Olympus OM-D E-M5 II with Sigma 56mm f/1.4
  • Rob (@Robot): Canon EOS RP with 24-105mm f/4
  • Steve (@Steve Noel): Panasonic GF5 with 20mm f/1.7 (withdrawn)
  • Martin (@theoldsmithy): Panasonic GX9 with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Tony (@tonyturley): Olympus PEN-F with adapted Olympus 38mm f/1.8
  • William (@William Lewis): Nikon D7100 with 35mm f/2D

Last edited:
I’m all kinds of confused now. I thought the “Vision 2020” a couple of months back WAS the April 2020 “single in” with a more relaxed format due to lockdowns, and the next one was now due in January 2021, back on the 9 month cycle? I also think having a daily challenge every month really dilutes the concept. One every 6 to 9 months tops is plenty for me. Any more than that makes photography a chore instead of a joy.
So, TL; DR - I won’t be participating, enjoy yourselves if you do.

I have had my break, breaking from the day to day challenge, but now I kind of miss it, so what the heck. I am in with the GX9 again, this time I think the Panny 20mm is the lens, and I may or may not go L Monochrome D again. I'm leaning towards it, since it's high summer basically and in these northerly climes that means bright sunlight all the time, which messes with colors on digital sensors. I'll try to take the gear out before the challenge starts and make sure it's what I want, if not, I may switch it up last minute.

I’m all kinds of confused now. I thought the “Vision 2020” a couple of months back WAS the April 2020 “single in” with a more relaxed format due to lockdowns, and the next one was now due in January 2021, back on the 9 month cycle? I also think having a daily challenge every month really dilutes the concept. One every 6 to 9 months tops is plenty for me. Any more than that makes photography a chore instead of a joy.
So, TL; DR - I won’t be participating, enjoy yourselves if you do.
That's actually one of the reasons I decided not to take part in the daily challenges. I like the defined time and I needed the break. I've also spent the last couple months defining (and redefining) my kit. So the timing actually works out well for me.

Maybe after this we could move to a 5 month rotation with every other one being really Single In and the other being a bit freer. Then both would rotate around the seasons.

That's actually one of the reasons I decided not to take part in the daily challenges. I like the defined time and I needed the break. I've also spent the last couple months defining (and redefining) my kit. So the timing actually works out well for me.

Maybe after this we could move to a 5 month rotation with every other one being really Single In and the other being a bit freer. Then both would rotate around the seasons.
I think this might be quite feasible - though I think it doesn't get much more relaxed than the "Day to Day" threads anyway, apart from the "need" for self-discipline.

The five month rotation is something I could commit to, but it means a very long cycle (five full years!) - this may or may not be a good thing ... I'd be interested in hearing more comments on this.

Anyhow, let's do this now - for those who asked for it as well as those who want to. For everyone else, there's plenty of opportunity to keep themselves busy.

M.

I'm in. As a farewell to Olympus, I'll use the "Pancake Lens E-P1 Kit". It came with the pancake 17 2.8, the E-P1, and the VF-1 optical finder. This is definitely out of my comfort zone. A 12 MP sensor and a wide angle lens. On the other hand, the E-P1 is very shiny. 😳
EP1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We’re gonna party like it’s 2009!!!

Last edited:
I'm in. As a farewell to Olympus, I'll use the "Pancake Lens E-P1 Kit". It came with the pancake 17 2.8, the E-P1, and the VF-1 optical finder. This is definitely out of my comfort zone. A 12 MP sensor and a wide angle lens. On the other hand, the E-P1 is very shiny. 😳View attachment 227106
We’re gonna party like it’s 2009!!!
I owned that kit for years! All that remains now is the VF1, still sitting around somewhere because I like optical VFs. That was a nice kit though, it felt purpose-built to complement the components.

Oh, what the heck or hell as the case may be....I'm "in" (although near the end of the month, I may be unable to post for a few days as I'm planning a few days camping at an exceedingly remote and off-the-grid mountainous part of Oregon) and my camera of choice will be my Ricoh GR II (mainly without but occasionally with its add-on 'wide conversion' lens).

Back