Single In For the keen and relentless: Single in July 2020

@MoonMind

Since I haven't shot yet for today, can I change the lens for the month to the Voigtlander Heliar Vintage Line 50/3.5?

I like the focal length better. I can shoot with the other lenses for other stuff this month.
I regret selling that lens. The plan was always to replace it from the Heliar Bessa T kit, but I did think the collapsible version was super cool.

I regret selling that lens. The plan was always to replace it from the Heliar Bessa T kit, but I did think the collapsible version was super cool.

I've never tried the collapsible one. I do really like this latest version, but the de-clicked aperture takes a little getting used to.

The collapsible one was a little fiddly, it would lock in extended position but the button was easily pressed in while focusing. But it looked beautiful, the aesthetic of those Bessa T Heliar 101 kits is unrivaled. Mine is still close, with the screw mount 35mm skopar, but my viewfinder is black plastic now instead of the silver metal one from the kit...

The collapsible one was a little fiddly, it would lock in extended position but the button was easily pressed in while focusing. But it looked beautiful, the aesthetic of those Bessa T Heliar 101 kits is unrivaled. Mine is still close, with the screw mount 35mm skopar, but my viewfinder is black plastic now instead of the silver metal one from the kit...

IMHO a lot of the older equipment has more "soul" than much modern gear.

Definitely a YMMV opinion.

@drd1135
I thought about keeping it. Like you said, IBIS is better turned off.
I feel like it was a kinda lucky fate.
Sent me to the EP5 and three Andrew Jacksons more was a good price for the performance upgrade.
It has some of the E-P1's charm but not all.

Looking forward to your images.
This was a cheap kit but claimed to be new. I checked the shutter count and the count was 94. Those are all mine. I do wonder what is wrong with the IS, but I’m past the warranty stage and I’m not going to pay for a repair. BTW, I also have an E-P5 (My name is Steve and I’m a Penoholic) and as a working camera it’s much better that the older model, especially since they added the zero second anti-shock setting.

Last edited:
I've left it to the bitter end before making a decision. I did try this afternoon to take a few pictures but my solo lock down has left me bereft of enthusiasm for anything really. I can't see myself producing anything worth looking at nor can I see myself lasting the course, so I'll be sitting this one out I guess. I've still not even ventured the two miles into the nearest town and I've already exhausted much of what the parish has to offer photographically. The next one in January, mid winter, also looks to be too much of a struggle the way I feel at the moment. Good luck everyone.

Barrie
Do hang in there won't you. My mum often calls me from UK and is going nuts.

@MoonMind

Since I haven't shot yet for today, can I change the lens for the month to the Voigtlander Heliar Vintage Line 50/3.5?

I like the focal length better. I can shoot with the other lenses for other stuff this month.
Do whatever you see fit - it's a challenge for yourself first and foremost; anyhow, I'd love to see images from that lens, personally.

But since the rules are meant to be strict (for a more casual approach, the "Day to Day" challenge is still alive), so I think we should encourage firm decisions. From that point of view, if a change saves the challenge for you, go ahead ... But otherwise, try to stick with what you've chosen.

M.

Ahhh. I though you were just using the GF-5 for the challenge.
He told us that he'd moved on the E-M5 (gave it to his daughter, I think I recall) - but I had forgotten it as well.

@Steve Noel I guess you know your reasons for not owning a personal camera at the moment - but some, like the Panasonic GX80/GX85 (new or used) or the underrated Olympus E-M10 II are quite affordable, and the Panasonic 12-32mm is one of the nicest (and most compact) kit zooms out there. Might be worth a look if things feel frustrating. What's more, a used E-M5 or E-M10 (which would be my personal preference for an older used body "on the cheap") can be had for little money, though that might leave you without a decent lens, the older kit zooms being what they are.

Around here, lightly used GX80 kits (the ones with the 12-32mm included) go for around $250 (less if you're willing to use auctions) to $300 (with accessories). Not a bad price at all for a very reliable performer. Strangely, E-M10s are a bit more expensive around here, but not by much; body alone will be cheaper (saw one for $160), of course. I guess that all these prices will be even lower in the States ...

M.

He told us that he'd moved on the E-M5 (gave it to his daughter, I think I recall) - but I had forgotten it as well.

@Steve Noel I guess you know your reasons for not owning a personal camera at the moment - but some, like the Panasonic GX80/GX85 (new or used) or the underrated Olympus E-M10 II are quite affordable, and the Panasonic 12-32mm is one of the nicest (and most compact) kit zooms out there. Might be worth a look if things feel frustrating. What's more, a used E-M5 or E-M10 (which would be my personal preference for an older used body "on the cheap") can be had for little money, though that might leave you without a decent lens, the older kit zooms being what they are.

Around here, lightly used GX80 kits (the ones with the 12-32mm included) go for around $250 (less if you're willing to use auctions) to $300 (with accessories). Not a bad price at all for a very reliable performer. Strangely, E-M10s are a bit more expensive around here, but not by much; body alone will be cheaper (saw one for $160), of course. I guess that all these prices will be even lower in the States ...

M.
I was actually browsing eBay last night for possibilities. The first gen E-M5 can be had pretty reasonable. I am curious about the GX80. I still have the Pentax 35mm SMC 3.5 on a m4/3 adapter, that I like very well. Money is the hold up for a bit.

Back