Single In For the keen and relentless: Single in July 2020

I have to concur with the previous comments. The first generation Olympus E-M5 can be occasionally found for very reasonable prices as can its newer sibling, the 1st gen E-M10 - and both are truly versatile cameras. On the Panasonic side, the GX7 can occasionally be found and with its brilliant tilting eyepiece and overall haptics and ergonomics, it still has the reputation of being one of the best-handling smallish micro43 bodies ever.

The other cameras which can be found for even more astoundingly reasonable prices, are the Olympus 'P' siblings - the E-P1, the E-P2 and the E-P3. True, none of them are quite as 'advanced' as the later E-P5 (another truly great camera IMHO) - but all of them are still quite fun to shoot with - and more than capable of creating great photographs.

It's also worth checking the classified section of our former sibling site, mu-43 dot com - where occasionally fellow photographers offer up some great older micro four thirds camera bodies, for very affordable prices.

Let me quote myself: It's that time of year again ... After having to postpone the Single in April 2020 due to the pandemic, I said I would be doing one of those challenges myself.

We have a broken rhythm now anyway, so we'll see what will establish itself as a viable solution in the future (I myself liked the nine month rhythm, but we can talk about it); suffice to say that so many of you, of us felt we should do a more focused (ha!) challenge again that I came to the conclusion that we should do it *now*.

So, whoever wants to join me in next month's challenge is invited to post in this thread, and as usual, I'll do the list; even though the announcement may come a bit late this time, there's no reason why we shouldn't start on time.

The rules of this more strict "Single in" contest are as follows:
  • Take and post (at least) one image per day during one month - and only one image to each day's thread; the image doesn't have to be posted on the same day it was taken, but regular participation is expected. You may or may not pick a specific theme or subject matter as well - all decisions in this regard are up to you.
  • Specify the gear you're going to use for the whole challenge - and stick to it as far as the challenge is concerned (accidents and issues excepted). Note: While we usually don't enforce this rule, experience shows that such a restriction can boost creativity.
  • Interact with other participants, talk about the images you take and see, your own experiences - in short, let's talk shop, have fun together and support each other. This way, we'll see everyone through. There will again be dedicated threads for "behind the scenes" talk as well as outtakes and everything else we may need.
As far as I am aware, these rules are the *original* ones - very strict, quite demanding - except for the single fact that you may still shoot for other purposes with different gear during the time of the challenge.

I'll provide daily treads - though should I be late or forgetful, don't hesitate to step in! I'll also updated this post with a developing list of participants.

N.B. If you find a "Single in" challenge too demanding, don't forget that there will still be the "Day to Day" threads you can pretty much post to whenever you want; in that challenge, hardly any rules apply.

M.

Participants and their chosen gear:
  • Andrew (@agentlossing): Panasonic GX9 with 20mm f/1.7
  • Bobby (@Bobby Tingle): Fujfilm X-Pro2 with 35mm f/1.4
  • Karen (@Briar): Leica M-E 240 with Summarit-M 50mm f/2.4
  • David (@davidzvi): Olympus PEN-F with (probably) Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
  • Don (@donlaw): Leica M10-P with Zeiss Biogon 35mm f/2
  • Steve (@drd1135): Olympus PEN E-P1 with 17mm f/2.8
  • Gordon (@gordo): Fujifilm X-H1 with adapted Voigtländer Ultron Classic 35mm f/2
  • Hanneke (@Hanneke): Fujifilm X-T20 with 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8
  • Jonathan (@Jonathan F/2): Sony A7 III with Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6
  • Sue (@kyteflyer): Ricoh GR II
  • Luke (@Luke): Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
  • Marlof (@marlof): Olympus PEN-F with 12mm f/2
  • Matero (@Matero): Canon EOS 5D III with 50mm f/1.2
  • Miguel (@MiguelATF): Ricoh GR II
  • John (@mnhoj): Olympus PEN E-P5 with 17mm f/1.8 (withdrawn)
  • Matt (@MoonMind): Ricoh GR III (yes, again - it's make or break this time ...)
  • Troy (@NoSeconds): Olympus OM-D E-M5 II with Sigma 56mm f/1.4
  • Rob (@Robot): Canon EOS RP with 24-105mm f/4
  • Steve (@Steve Noel): Panasonic GF5 with 20mm f/1.7
  • Martin (@theoldsmithy): Panasonic GX9 with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Tony (@tonyturley): Olympus PEN-F with adapted Olympus 38mm f/1.8
  • William (@William Lewis): Nikon D7100 with 35mm f/2D
I just noticed these rules after posting in day 16. Can one jump in mid way?

I just noticed these rules after posting in day 16. Can one jump in mid way?
Uhm ... As far as I can see, you already did ;) Usually, no, but: We appreciate everyone's efforts, and contributions are always welcome, so go right ahead. By the way, the by far less strict rules apply to the Day to Day challenge running alongside everything else anyway - that's as easy to join as to get out of. Choose your target threads as you wish.

M.

I have to confess. Didn't feel well yesterday, and didn't take any pics. Part of an excuse is, that my "new camera", E-M5, came without the charger, and I did not want to do the phone thing again. Charger came today and we're back in business!
Almost my favorite Olympus body. I felt the mark II was just a bit better. The EM5 is to digital what the OM was to film.

Back