Film For those who still shoot film and want to develop at home....

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew

Basically a powder that you can get shipepd to you, add water and you are ready to develop your film.

Color and B&W options available, and cost is roughly $1 per roll.

Always good to see new products being launched. I still like XTOL for general B&W which is $10 for 6 months worth or 40+ rolls and tf-5 for the fixer. I have been using Unicolor powder kits for color but haven't shot much color in the past year.

Interesting, I’ve got 3 or 4 shot rolls of different black and white films, sitting undeveloped in a drawer around here somewhere...

Not many places in West Oz still develop colour film let alone B&W...

This looks like great chemistry and an easy process. For me, though, it's three decades too late! I would have tried it when my B&W darkroom was still operational. OTH I still have a developing tank and reels, and I’m still curious, and ...

… What am I going to do with negatives in the digital world? How could I transform and enlarge the images with my scanner/printer and computer (without buying new equipment)?

Just a follow-up for anyone interested, I bought a pack of the DF96 powdered developer, and it has worked quite well for my first film developing experiments. It has a part A and part B which are mixed into distilled water. They take awhile to fully dissolve (or, at least, the coarser of the two does). I did it in an open-mouth jug for ease of pouring, but if you could get the powder into a regular jug with a tight lid, it would be easier to mix by shaking than stirring.

This looks like great chemistry and an easy process. For me, though, it's three decades too late! I would have tried it when my B&W darkroom was still operational. OTH I still have a developing tank and reels, and I’m still curious, and ...

… What am I going to do with negatives in the digital world? How could I transform and enlarge the images with my scanner/printer and computer (without buying new equipment)?
You can pick up a flatbed scanner with good resolution and negative scanning functions on eBay for under £50. If it's an Epson then I believe their scan app is pretty good. Canons either get Silverfast bundled with them, or you can do what I did and buy Vuescan, which works with just about any scanner. It's slow work but rewarding.

Back