Forum settings and whatnot

doobs

All-Pro
Name
Chris
Greetings all,

I'm working toward weaning myself from the drogues and plinks on DReview. Just way too much angst in return for a bit of technical content.

This place has always been uber (can we still use that word?) comfortable, so I'm leaning (heavily, Tower of Pisa, heavily :)) on making this my "home away from home".

Couple of questions:
  1. None of my monitors is any higher resolution than 1080p. Is there a forum setting to resize the posted images to fit in one "screen"?
  2. In spelunking through settings, there is a selection to 'Opt-Out from viewing "The Oasis" content'. Qu'est que sais "The Oasis"?
  3. I've noticed that images that I post seem a bit muted/muddy. Is there a setting to tweak this so the images are more like what I see on my native Windows screen? If not are some ideas on settings for post processing (I use Capture One) that would make this less noticeable?
  4. Signatures seem to be a bit nondescript. Any way to "gussy them up", like this:
Chris_small.jpg

Thanks all,

Last edited:
Greetings all,

I'm working toward weaning myself from the drogues and plinks on DReview. Just way too much angst in return for a bit of technical content.

This place has always been uber (can we still use that word?) comfortable, so I'm leaning (heavily, Tower of Pisa, heavily :)) on making this my "home away from home".

Couple of questions:
  1. None of my monitors is any higher resolution than 1080p. Is there a forum setting to resize the posted images to fit in one "screen"?
  2. In spelunking through settings, there is a selection to 'Opt-Out from viewing "The Oasis" content'. Qu'est que sais "The Oasis"?
  3. I've noticed that images that I post seem a bit muted/muddy. Is there a setting to tweak this so the images are more like what I see on my native Windows screen? If not are some ideas on settings for post processing (I use Capture One) that would make this less noticeable?
  4. Signatures seem to be a bit nondescript. Any way to "gussy them up", like this:
View attachment 317773

Thanks all,
Can't answer the first question, though I've never had any issues displaying the forum on 1080p screens (most of mine have that resolution as well). The one I'm using right now is marginally bigger, but ... Maybe someone else may want to chime in.

"The Oasis" was created to host content not everyone is comfortable with, like weapons (I'm not frequenting the Oasis, so can't be any more specific - but an issue around showing guns and knives led to its creation IIRC).

Forum compression *is* a bit heavy-handed; no idea what the technical reason is, but I agree that it can crush your shadows and generally crunch up dynamic range - it could be worse, but it could be better.

As to your signature idea, I hadn't noticed, but it's a fact that we cannot add images ... which might be just as well, or it might be a pity. I'm not sure what to think, honestly, but I'm not sure either if it's feasible.

Some things are for @Kevin to comment on, I think (questions 3 and 4, certainly).

M.

Greetings all,

Couple of questions:
View attachment 317773

Thanks all,
Greetings :)

I'm not sure I'm understanding #1 - All images displayed inline should be resized based on your browser size up to a maximum width. In case I'm not having enough coffee, can you walk me through what you're seeing?

Matt (MoonMind) is correct for #2, "The Oasis" forum was the result of some threads like guns & knives. There was a bit of a community disagreement as to whether those types of threads should be allowed and the compromise was a new forum that could be opted-out of from.

For #3, to minimize how much an image is 'touched' when it is uploaded, try resizing it to be 1600x1600 or less. Images higher than that will get automatically resized. There are various things involved that might cause an image to be touched when it is uploaded so the current settings are a trade-off between "How big of a file should we accept for image quality?" versus "How big of a file should we accept before members on slower connections really start to have performance issues?". If I knew that all of our members were on at least 100mb fast pipelines than the settings could be relaxed so that images are rarely touched but I know that a lot of our members are on slower connections and at least a few folks are still on slower mobile connections.

In regards to #4, Signatures, I had to go look at the settings to see what the current configurations are since it's been ages that they've been touched. At the moment no members are able to insert images, other than smiles and/or emoji, in their signatures and some formatting options are restricted to the 'Supporters' group. The reason, honestly, is to cut down the 'noise-to-content' ratio where some signatures were huge (several lines, images & media, text formatted in all sorts of ways, and so on) while the actual post content would only be a few words or just a single sentence. On a slightly tangent topic, signatures are not shown to guests, only members when they are logged in. In the 'olden days' of the online world a common spam technique would be toss links and spam content in signatures so that they'll get picked up by search engines. That's not really a problem these days (thanks to 'nofollow' links and smarter search engines) but signatures are still are turned off for guests so that the search engines find the on-topic posts content and not random stuff in signatures. But, circling back around, even for members who are logged in and viewing threads, it can be quickly distracting to browse threads where some signatures end up being more prominent than the actual conversation.

Well I see no reference to "The Oasis" in forum listings, thus the question.

Thanks
I had to go check the settings again to make sure my memory was correct. :)

"The Oasis" forum is not viewable to guests, meaning that members must be logged in to see it, and it is not viewable for anybody who enables the 'Opt-Out' option in the preference (may take up to an hour to kick in after it is turned on). The forum itself is a child forum of the "Other Genres" parent forum.

1655604145894.png

Hey Kevin,

#1 - On my computers (but not my tablet) displayed images are vertically larger than my screen, thus I have to scroll to see the entire thing. Both for landscape and portrait orientations. The only way I can make landscape images not overlap the screen is by reducing the width of my browser. Seems sub-optimal.
#2 - I did indeed find "The Oasis". Doh.
#3 - Some time back, I went through my entire image catalog (in Capture One) and exported selected images at a resolution of no higher than 1500 pixels on the long side, specifically for displaying on the web (and creating Google Photo Albums to share with my family). Those images are what I've been posting here. Another reader suggested using a different profile, specifically ProPhotoRGB 16. Doing a quick check of my Capture One export settings indicates the images were exported using AdobeRGB.
#4 - Gotcha - I've seen some sig's on other forums that were definitely beyond the bounds of good taste...

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,

#1 - On my computers (but not my tablet) displayed images are vertically larger than my screen, thus I have to scroll to see the entire thing. Both for landscape and portrait orientations. The only way I can make landscape images not overlap the screen is by reducing the width of my browser. Seems sub-optimal.
#2 - I did indeed find "The Oasis". Doh.
#3 - Some time back, I went through my entire image catalog (in Capture One) and exported selected images at a resolution of no higher than 1500 pixels on the long side, specifically for displaying on the web (and creating Google Photo Albums to share with my family). Those images are what I've been posting here. Another reader suggested using a different profile, specifically ProPhotoRGB 16. Doing a quick check of my Capture One export settings indicates the images were exported using AdobeRGB.
#4 - Gotcha - I've seen some sig's on other forums that were definitely beyond the bounds of good taste...

Thanks for the feedback.
Two quick thoughts:

@1: I'd be interested to know what OS/app combo you're using - I've never had that happen to me so far, and I'm really eclectic ...
@3: Depending on your viewing habits and expectations, it's still safest to use sRGB for web purposes - AdobeRGB being traditionally more geared towards printing than on-screen use. But I admit that this feels like pretty old news ... YMMV.

M.

#1 - Sorry, should have said, I'm on Windows 10 v21H2 and I use the Brave browser.
#3 - Thanks, I'll try that. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to color profiles.

cheers,
The browser issues are strange, then - Brave uses the Chromium core, and from my experience with using it (I have it on Android, iPadOS and Windows 10), there really shouldn't be any problem; I have the browser open alongside Firefox on Windows 10 (latest upgrades as well) right now - no image resizing problems at all; this is the display side of things, mind, not forum compression, but I think Kevin explained everything about that.

Is it possible that you're kind of zoomed in on your screen, besides standard scaling? Again, Brave won't cause its own issues when zooming within the app: I just tried - from 25% to 400%, the images scale flawlessly.

M.

Okay, more about item #1.

Here is a screen shot with Brave browser filling the screen:

cameraderie.JPG

And here is a screenshot when I reduce the width of the browser to about 2/3 width of the screen:

cameraderie1.JPG

So, the forum software is scaling the image to fit the window size. The good here is I get the full image. The bad, well, not using the whole screen.

Is there anyway to force the image display to be smaller?

Thanks!

Okay, more about item #1.

Here is a screen shot with Brave browser filling the screen:

View attachment 388186

And here is a screenshot when I reduce the width of the browser to about 2/3 width of the screen:

View attachment 388187

So, the forum software is scaling the image to fit the window size. The good here is I get the full image. The bad, well, not using the whole screen.

Is there anyway to force the image display to be smaller?

Thanks!
You should be able to adjust magnification within the browser window; never done it in Brave/Chrome, though - within Firefox, press CTRL and use scrollling to scale (scroll down: zoom out, scroll up, zoom in).

M.

Doing that adjusts the scale of everything but the displayed image.

Honestly it's not a huge issue as I normally use my tablet to view the forum. In the vertical position all images are fully presented.

Thanks
Unfortunately Chris, usually that is a setting that the site admin has to change (if the software even allows it).
Sorry I didn't reply to this explicitly earlier, but: If I hold "Ctrl" and use the scroll wheel on my mouse, I can scale all I want, and with the expected effect on everything from text to images; just went from 50% to 200% in a thread, no problem at all.

I think what you don't need to try is scaling images "to size" before you post - that's what's really not working as expected; the reason being that whereever you post on the web, controlling output and display on different viewing devices ("the other side") is only possible by scripting; that's why site software usually automates that. If you upload full size images, you can zoom in afterwards. If you "pre-scale" in the form, you may actually ruin other people's viewing experience. So, as a rule, don't do that. You can resize the image to a maximum of 1600px on the longest side before posting if you wish - but it's really not possible to completely avoid compression handling your file. Going a tad lighter/brighter and less contrasty on resize helps emulate a more "original" look - but that means changing your usual pp just for forum (i.e. screen) display; I don't see the use in that. I just put up with the fact that images will not look quite as they do on my screen. Just to mention it, it doesn't really have much of an effect to host the images off-site and use links, either: Attaching a file will import it, and on import, compression will occur. It's just what it is. Dedicated image display sites like Flickr do a better job at preserving the way your image looks, and when you use e.g. Flickr's sharing options (BB code), you can link to a full-size (i.e. uncompressed, not resized) version of your image file.

M.

Back