Feedback forum slow and/or unable to get pages to load?

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
All of a sudden tonight I am having problems getting the pages to load and/or if I attempt a post the little time clock goes on forever...or it does absolutely nothing.:confused: I am using Safari. I will try Firefox and Chrome later but wanted to post this in case anyone else was experiencing any problems.

Sometimes I don't think my post has gone through but if I close out and come in via a new window - there it is!

P.S. All seems to be just fine now. Perhaps I had too many windows open?

sometimes I have problems - I presume that it is the "normal" internet/server volume issues - at "peak" times uploading images has always been "hit and miss" and only possible after several "tries"

No worries - as they say "down under" - the site works

I don't know, but this forum is so slowly loading. It cuts the fun of using it as I would like to do. It is sure not my Internet conection cos All sides, forums and other stuff I use on Internet is super fast loading.

Any possible explanation why it is so slow?

I apologize to all who posting great photos and I don't click like. It is not I don't want but I cany see them. The forum loads so slowly and I have to wait long time, than I can click on a photo and it loads, but very slowly. Than photos on the site are loading., but If I click the next side it's the same. It is too much frustrating. I guess I have to stop using this great forum for posting.

No, it is not my internet. It is very fast.

I have to say I find this forum rather slow indeed. Loading a page with photos takes anywhere between 3 and 10 seconds, mostly around 5 seconds. And I have a 100 Mb/s internet connection so that's not the bottleneck.
It's the trade-off of allowing lots of attachments in a thread with large resolutions and file sizes. The alternatives would be to reduce the max dimensions and max file size causing files to be resized (which could affect image quality even further) or enforce that images be inserted into posts as thumbnails instead of the full size (which means people would need click on the thumbnails to view the large sized images).

It's the trade-off of allowing lots of attachments in a thread with large resolutions and file sizes. The alternatives would be to reduce the max dimensions and max file size causing files to be resized (which could affect image quality even further) or enforce that images be inserted into posts as thumbnails instead of the full size (which means people would need click on the thumbnails to view the large sized images).
File sizes are already reduced to 1600px wide on this site, aren't they? I have the impression that image files are not cached in my browser, which will increase page load times considerably I guess. I often visit other sites with lots of images and this site stands out for its slowness I'm afraid. Reducing file sizes even further would degrade its functionality because this is a photography site after all so viewing photos in a reasonably large size is essential IMHO. I can understand that financial considerations limit the options for providing a speedy experience and it doesn't prohibit me from visiting here often, but annoying it is (to me).

I just tried the same thread with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on a MB Pro. All loaded fine. With Safari by far being the fastest, then Firefox, then Chrome. Is there any possibility that something in the intertubes is causing the site to run slower for those outside of the U.S.?

Some recent changes....

Attachments are now cached! 😲 @Ad Dieleman is correct in saying that normally XenForo (the forum software currently used here at Cameraderie) does not allow caching of attachments. The reason for that would fill up another thread but, "where there's a will, there's a way". What this means is revisiting a thread will be quicker to load because now the attached images should be cached in your browser instead of having to be fetched from the server each time. Those of you on fast connections won't notice much of a difference because we also use 'lazy loading' of attachments so you'll see a slight improvement when revisiting pages but not as much as those on slower connections.​

Views for guests (anybody not logged into their Cameraderie account) now sees cached versions of the pages. Guest caching is set for 15 minutes so if you're not logged in and are not seeing new posts right away, this is way.​

There's a few more items that have been added my to To Do list but for now these are the ones that are most noticeable and some will have to wait until we do the next XenForo upgrade to the upcoming release.

With 50 Mb/sec pages and photos usually load fast enough. But there are times when I have to press the reload button because the pics won't appear (especially on the Home page). It certainly depends on the time of the day, too, my fastest period is around 21:00 CET. But at times the slowness has been a frustrating experience for me, too. The iMac with High Sierra is fast enough.

Some recent changes....

Attachments are now cached! 😲 @Ad Dieleman is correct in saying that normally XenForo (the forum software currently used here at Cameraderie) does not allow caching of attachments. The reason for that would fill up another thread but, "where there's a will, there's a way". What this means is revisiting a thread will be quicker to load because now the attached images should be cached in your browser instead of having to be fetched from the server each time. Those of you on fast connections won't notice much of a difference because we also use 'lazy loading' of attachments so you'll see a slight improvement when revisiting pages but not as much as those on slower connections.​

Views for guests (anybody not logged into their Cameraderie account) now sees cached versions of the pages. Guest caching is set for 15 minutes so if you're not logged in and are not seeing new posts right away, this is way.​

There's a few more items that have been added my to To Do list but for now these are the ones that are most noticeable and some will have to wait until we do the next XenForo upgrade to the upcoming release.
Thanks for enabling caching of attachments, that helps. Still I'm a bit baffled by the time needed to view a page with images; it still takes 3 seconds or so to show up, even now that the images are cached. Tried this in Firefox and Safari, with essentially the same behaviour.

Edit: page loading of pages with cached images (i.e. a thread I visited before) is now only 1-2 seconds, nice improvement.

Thanks. Tried it and can't really say if it helps, surely not enough to make me give up seeing the EXIF data :).
It depends on a number of factors but it's significant enough that for members on slow connections visiting while there's a large number of hits to the box and they are viewing threads with a large amount of images, I'll be most likely changing the logic at some point so that members will need to explicitly choose "Yes" in their preferencea to view the data. I'll give a 'heads-up' before the default is changed.

Back