Fringe Benefit of Having an X100V

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
Since COVID, we as a family have not really done anything “vacation” related. We usually take a few over night trips throughout the year and 1 bigger trip at least once every 2 years.

We decided to make the 2 hour drive from Columbus to Cincinnati this weekend to visit family and go to a museum or 2.

We went to the American Sign Museum. Before leaving the house, something inside me told me to check the photo policy.

Pictures are allowed, but no cameras with interchangeable lenses. Well, the plan was to rake the a Nikon Z6 and the fast primes. Glad I checked beforehand, though.

I have no other fixed lens cameras outside of the X100V. I would have been using my cellphone only, had I not had the X100V. Not that in and of itself would have been a bad thing, but I just much prefer a camera form factor.

I put the WCL II on the Fuji and had quite a successful time of it. I’m traveling back home now, and will share images later. Just thankful that I, one - double checked the policy of the place we went and 2 - had something that was acceptable to take in with me.

So what is the purpose of that rule? No big telephoto lenses. I will admit, at least before the virus, I toured museums that were quite crowded. Or is it a ban on taking high quality photos of art?

So what is the purpose of that rule? No big telephoto lenses. I will admit, at least before the virus, I toured museums that were quite crowded. Or is it a ban on taking high quality photos of art?

From what the worker told me, they had issues with people setting up with tripods and trying to do photo shoots in there. It is a smaller museum, so space is an issue.

They do allow photo shoots, but they charge a small fee and they must be done after normal museum hours.

A few from the American Sign Museum - Fuji X100V and WCL (28mm equiv field of view).

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008681.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008687.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008692.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008699.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008708.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008720.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008721.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008726.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008734.jpg

08-23-2020_cinci_X1008745.jpg

wow....those are some magnificent signs. I don't know why no one makes awesome signs anymore. I know they cost a lot of money.....but I'm sure they cost a lot of money in the past, too.

As always, follow the money. Most signs that look like neon signs are now LED signs. Much cheaper. New York's Times Square is an example.

But your question is a fair one: Whether neon or LED, why aren't truly magnificent signs being made anymore? I submit that new signs we generally see going up these days reflect the fortunes of the retailing industry in general. As in "fading fast."

Back