Fuji From Car Show

A graceful 1937 MG sedan sat with younger T-series cars of the same breed at the June 4, 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England show. Now about that radiator cap...

P1010137.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010133.JPG

P1010135.JPG

The 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England show included a large collection of TR-series Triumphs. The most unusual among these was this 1949 model 2000 Triumph TRA convertible. Climbing past the Dunlap spare to sit in the rumble seat was a tricky feat best left to the young!
P1010176.JPG

P1010168.JPG

P1010171.JPG

P1010173.JPG

A real favorite of mine: a 1953 Sunbeam Alpine type 1 (shown at the June 4, 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England). Grace Kelly drove a blue one along the mountain roads of the French Riviera with Cary Grant squirming nervously in the tan leather passenger seat in Alfred Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief. The later Alpines that came to the USA (and morphed into the Tiger) had nowhere near the fleet styling of the type 1. I hold this Alpine had a better rear deck than Princess Grace!

P1010195.JPG

P1010196.JPG

P1010193.JPG

Another beautiful 1953 British creation; a Jaguar XK-120 roadster. Every red-blooded American boy craved one! This roadster (shown at the June 4, 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England) wears solid disk wheels and rear-wheel spats, unusual for an XK-120.

I had a college buddy who drove one with the same color combination as this pristine beauty, but clearly used a whole lot more and ridden hard. Still, it was a wonderful machine to drive with excellent handling and a 3.4 liter dual overhead cam six that performed a sex-change at about 3500 RPM. Below that speed the engine had a masculine roar; above it the exhaust note became a feminine scream! I used to love driving it through a concrete viaduct to share that sonic moment of transition with the World!

P1010210.JPG

P1010211.JPG

P1010212.JPG

Last edited:
Another lovely Jaguar shown at the 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England, this one a 1955 XK-140 drophead coupe. While not at lithe as the XK-120, these over-chromed beauties were comfortable sports cars with snappy performance and the same 3.4 liter DOHC six cylinder engine. Look at those creature comforts: roll-up windows and outside door handles!

P1010114.JPG

P1010112.JPG

P1010115.JPG

Last edited:
Morris Garage (MG) was well represented at the 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England. Among the many T-series cars shown was this very nice right-hand drive 1955 TF 1500. The TF was the last of the series and is often less appreciated than the earlier models. I think its transitional look with the headlamps blended into the fenders is beautiful. The octagon bezels on the instruments is a neat styling touch. I owned a LHD birch grey one of these in the 60's and loved it - great fun to drive with the windshield folded down collecting bugs in your teeth! I'd love to learn the art of left-handed shifting!

P1010139.JPG

P1010140.JPG

P1010141.JPG

Last edited:
The Jaguar XK-140 also came as a roadster. While not as lavishly appointed as the drophead coupe, these were wonderful sports cars providing speed, handling and comfort. This nicely restored and updated one is a 1955 car shown at the 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England.

P1010103.JPG

P1010102.jpg

P1010106.JPG

P1010107.JPG

Last edited:
The modern E-type Jaguar was also well represented at the June 4, 2022 Cars and Motorcycles of England show held at the Hope Lodge in Fort Washington, PA. This 1963 coupe was a knockout. Powered by the same 3.4 liter DOHC in-line six cylinder as the preceding XK series, the E-type (XK-E in the USA) featured a beautiful new body offered as a 2-seat coupe and an OTS (open two seater) convertible. These early (type 1) cars were revered for their smooth lines, enclosed headlights and flat floors.

P1010121.JPG

P1010122.JPG

P1010123.JPG

The OTS was just as refined and finely fitted as the coupe. This convertible is a 1964.

P1010124.JPG

P1010125.JPG

P1010126.JPG

But the display of E-types did not stop with the type 1 machines. It continued through the 12 cylinder (type III) machines made from 1971 to 1974. The V12 engine displaced 5.3 liters and produced 242 HP.

P1010148.JPG

P1010146.JPG

Last edited:
Black Adder, a "special" built upon a 1947 Bentley Mk VI chassis. This is one of many classics on display at the Rolls-Royce Foundation Museum in Mechanicsburg, PA. If you're a gearhead, you will love this place even if you don't speak with an English accent!

P1010248.jpg

P1010247.jpg

P1010246.jpg

Mk VI Special.jpg

Last edited:
A very interesting 1903 Oldsmobile "Curved Dash" Model R seen at the 8/13/22 New Hope Automobile Show. Interesting in that it appeared to be an electric car built in 1903. Ransom Olds built some 19,000 Curved Dash automobiles between 1901 and 1903. They represented the first effort to mass-produce cars using interchangeable parts and a team of specific-operation workers on a stationary assembly line, instead of one-off construction. All were powered by a flat single-cylinder gasoline engine under the seat. Mr. Olds is known to have experimented with electric and steam propulsion prior to 1901; his prototypes developed in this effort were reportedly lost in a 1901 fire. Propulsion mystery aside, this is a lovely restoration of a 119 year-old vehicle! Please see correction following photos.

P1120585 LoRes.jpg

P1120583 LoRes.jpg

P1120581 LoRes.jpg

P1120584 LoRes.jpg

Regarding the "propulsion mystery", note the handle protruding from the right side of the body just under the thigh-on-seat location. This is the starting handle for the gasoline engine under the seat. I was completely wrong about this being an electric vehicle. Sorry to have misled you! 🦊 docfox.

Confirmation: I was able to contact the car's owner who confirmed that the propulsion is provided by a 1-cylinder, water-cooled, gasoline engine.

August 17th addition - While looking for information about the Curved Dash Oldsmobile, I came across this wonderful video showing the preparation and operation of a model R!

Last edited:
Gotta love that tiller steering with the horn mounted on it.
People who don't have an appreciation for cars like the curved dash just don't understand how far we've come in the automotive world.
Thanks for sharing @docfox, I'd love to experience riding in that Olds.
Exactly. Like computers.

My 2006 1.5 tonne 2.5L Subaru Forester has roughly the same fuel consumption at the speed limit on the highway as did my 1964 850cc 0.5 tonne Morris Mini. Around 40 UK mpg!

Of course, the 2006 Forester is an infinitely better vehicle in every respect.

Back