Fuji From the front of a moving cargo bike

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
The wife's website features curated bike routes in selected cities. Locals submit routes that let visitors go see the city by theme - breweries, bakeries, parks, coffee, fine food, whatever - and she does the leg work of creating and posting maps. We just led a group ride to celebrate a new one in Boston, this time a brewery-themed ride curated by a local brewer.

To do it, we loaded me and my 5 yr old daughter in the front of this Workcycles Bakfiets (dutch for "box bike"):
15136312888_0d1ed70daf_c.jpg
KBRX4525
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Then my wife pedaled us from western Cambridge to downtown Boston and all the way out to East Boston, Chelsea, Revere, then back through Somerville to Cambridge. She's got a motor in those legs, to say the least... humbling. That meant I was free to take shots from the front of the cargo bike all day, and I tried to make the most of it. In the bike it was exclusively the 18-55 (I needed the width and the OIS helped a ton), and inside the breweries it was mostly the 35 f1.4 (I needed the speed). I never ever get this vantage point, I'm always on my own bike, trying to pedal and avoid Boston traffic, so this was a treat.

My view while facing backwards:
17037562928_012ca06852_b.jpg
From The Front Of A Cargo Bike
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

The kit zoom will bokeh at 18mm if you crank the shutter speed up (to force it open) and get close enough.
17199383056_6ff80766de_c.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

My view when she took the front spot...
17017917627_fd09f5c08c_c.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Easy access to the other riders...
17039156579_0d61150470_b.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And the street shots you could get, man. Ray would love being biked around in this rig. EVERYONE stares at you and smiles, and you've got both hands free to shoot.
16605127003_1d1df90032_b.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Back