Feedback Front page images

Are now all squeezed into portrait mode, regardless of original aspect ratio. Any chance of getting that fixed? (iPad)

DDDE8A37-6E7D-4918-9832-E32809F50E99.jpeg

Are now all squeezed into portrait mode, regardless of original aspect ratio. Any chance of getting that fixed? (iPad)

View attachment 195808
Was coming here to say the same thing (also on Mac). The front page is really cluttered and unattractive on my MBP. I've been bypassing it to go to "what's new" but there's just something missing when I visit. Not sure exactly what, but the smooshed images and no text explaining what the post is I think is the main culprit.

Was coming here to say the same thing (also on Mac). The front page is really cluttered and unattractive on my MBP. I've been bypassing it to go to "what's new" but there's just something missing when I visit. Not sure exactly what, but the smooshed images and no text explaining what the post is I think is the main culprit.
The 'smooshed' part is something that is driving me nuts with Apple devices, it seems to come & go on the whim of the device. Last time it came up I resorted to using a MacOS VM service, now I'm trying to track down a cheap Mac laptop to properly debug it. The 'Cliff Notes' is that it seems that the javascript function to dynamically resize the images upon page load is not always happening on Apple devices.

On desktop devices a mouse-over of the image pops up the text the same as the "media" gallery browsing.

I've made Whats New my bookmark. Cant stand the front page, I cant see the images properly, no idea what they are about, gave up.
On non-Apple devices it looks great. :D Seriously, though, it is on my priority list to figure out what's going on with it. The javascript code in question is a 3rd-party library from a vendor that I've been reaching out to to get their input.
(and just now changed it to Forums which still gives the right bar)
Is that a good thing or bad thing that you see the sidebar? I don't recall any conversations about the sidebar appearing on the /forums home page by default. When viewing a thread there is an option I added so people can turn off the sidebar like before but on the /forums home page it's always been shown (it's the default of the software).

I like the side bar (if that’s the ‘latest posts’ lists)
It is indeed. By default the forum software shows the sidebar on the main /forums page but not when viewing a thread. We added the sidebar to the threads here to mimic how the old version of the software showed threads and added an option on the 'preferences' page of people's accounts to show it or not. The option is set to show it so if anybody doesn't like it when viewing threads they can turn it off. The sidebar at /forums will always show.

On the home page topic, I'm trying to get my hands on an old MBP so I can work on debugging it. Among the group of family & friends invested in the Mac ecosystem they tend to hold on to their MBPs for as long as they can before having to upgrade so spares are sparse. But... I think I have a lead on what's going on and will rewrite some of the home page code this weekend; even if it doesn't resolve my Apple issue it'll be a cleaner way of doing some of the functions to minimize the chance of images not getting resized.

I would appreciate it too. I have iPad, MBP, and iPhone. And all of the featured images on the home page are distorted enough that I just completely ignore them.
Depending on what browsers you're using, there should be some improvement.

I'll grab some screen shots when I get a chance of the results I'm seeing but in short over the weekend I was able to try Safari on an old iPad (not sure the model, whether it's an iPad 1 or 2), Safari on MacOS, Chrome on MacOS, and FireFox on MacOS. Of those, all of them *except* Safari on MacOS was behaving much better now and resembles more like what non-Apple folks are seeing.

For the tech folks.... looks like possibly Safari is having issue with the flex CSS definitions, I'm still poking around though.

Here is what it looks like on the iPad tonight. iPad Pro iOS 12.2View attachment 196656
Thanks, that's telling me that either the iPad Pro, or at least Safari running on it, is giving results the same as Safari on MacOS desktop. That itself is interesting because the old iPad I was playing with over the weekend seemed to be displaying correctly.

Attached is a screenshot showing the front page with Chrome. Safari, for whatever reason, is resulting in the image size calculations giving different results versus Chrome (Mac, Win, & Android), Firefox (Mac & Win), Opera (Mac & Win), and Edge (Win).

Whoa that's weird. On my Android tablet it moves forum topics to the bottom while allowing the images to expand to the full width of the screen.
The design is totally responsive so based on the device screen resolution the layout will try to maximize the display for readability. A page with a sidebar, for example, will appear below the main content area on smaller devices and the menu navigation will switch from the full text links to a 'hamburger' menu. On my Amazon HD 8 Android tablet the sidebars end up displaying two columns, side-by-side, below the main content area while on my Android phone the sidebar is displayed as a single column below the main content area and the images fill the screen.

On your tablet, depending on the resolutions it can display, rotate it from portrait mode to landscape mode and you should be able to see the responsive design in action. If you're Chrome you can also try the "Desktop Site" option to get an idea of how the page would display in desktops.

The design is totally responsive so based on the device screen resolution the layout will try to maximize the display for readability. A page with a sidebar, for example, will appear below the main content area on smaller devices and the menu navigation will switch from the full text links to a 'hamburger' menu. On my Amazon HD 8 Android tablet the sidebars end up displaying two columns, side-by-side, below the main content area while on my Android phone the sidebar is displayed as a single column below the main content area and the images fill the screen.

On your tablet, depending on the resolutions it can display, rotate it from portrait mode to landscape mode and you should be able to see the responsive design in action. If you're Chrome you can also try the "Desktop Site" option to get an idea of how the page would display in desktops.

Looks good on my Android tablet and Mac both running Chrome. On Safari though on my Mac it definitely looks squished.

Looks to be fixed running Mac OS Sierra on Safari. No problems in Chrome as usual.
Thanks for checking! I've been using a Mac in Cloud VM to debug but the screen rendering from the VM through the remote desktop app I'm using (mRemoteNG) on my Dell XPS with a UHD screen is not giving me the best user experience so I appreciate you guys helping me out with the testing. :cool:

Back