Fuji Fuji iXS-1 Announced

Outside of the zoom, I don't see how this would be sensible, since entry level SLRs with massively larger sensors are out there in the pricepoint.

too bad it's not weatherproof, as some rumours had predicted. Other than that, looks like a very capable all-around travel camera that's too big for me.

I like it for ease of use. I have had DsLR's and it's too expensive for zoom glass for some people.

For n all in one this is looking like it will be the best out there.

There are some fuji guys videos on YouTube already. Watched them last night :)

Well, after breaking my GRD a short time ago, I am not sure what I will do. I'll need to replace it, but another GRD? probably not. As for having a massively larger sensor in a DSLR... well, already got one, snake. I'm looking at XS1 as an alternative to the PoS FZ100 I have which has been a huge disappointment from go to whoah. I had a fuji S8000fd in the past, which was roundly panned by critics, and it was better than the panny FZ... anyway... I cant afford the glass for my K-5 to get the focal length the XS1 will have, and with a 2/3 sensor, its going to be acceptable IQ for most of us.

I had and loved a S600fd, with a larger and more advanced Sensor and OIS(!) this could be a winner.
IMHO there is a place for fixed lens prosumer like this, one does not have to buy extra lenses and the rick of dust is much lower.
Plus, the shutter is SILENT.
As is the manual zoom.
Great for Kitty Kat shots!
Here is my S6000fd set
S6000fd

I had and loved a S600fd, with a larger and more advanced Sensor and OIS(!) this could be a winner.
IMHO there is a place for fixed lens prosumer like this, one does not have to buy extra lenses and the rick of dust is much lower.
Plus, the shutter is SILENT.
As is the manual zoom.
Great for Kitty Kat shots!
Our cats tolerate a lot, really :)

I think I still want the X10, too.

Outside of the zoom, I don't see how this would be sensible, since entry level SLRs with massively larger sensors are out there in the pricepoint.

I have to agree, Plus it's an EVF camera with a relatively large lens, which is not a path I particularly want to follow. I should think an entry level DSLR would seem to be VERY competitive to those attracted to this camera. To each his own, I guess. Aesthetically, I'm also a bit put off by the fake prism hump on the camera. Does anyone know if there are valid design considerations for something like that?

well, one reason for keeping the DSLR form factor on a camera with an EVF, is that a rangefinder-like EVF (like the NEX-7 for instance) is supposedly harder to use for left-eyed people. I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning, but anyway that's one thing I've read.

However, even with the EVF on top, and even with the flash housed in there too, the hump seems to be larger than necessary to house those 2. Maybe it houses some electronics which allows the body to be smaller in a different dimension?

well, one reason for keeping the DSLR form factor on a camera with an EVF, is that a rangefinder-like EVF (like the NEX-7 for instance) is supposedly harder to use for left-eyed people. I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning, but anyway that's one thing I've read.

I am left-eye dominant, trust me it is very very annoying to have to use the RF style VF. I love my Hexar AF but keep having the clean smudges from the back of the camera...

^ that's the thing, even with a DSLR-styled EVF, your nose will still be pressing up against the screen, so I don't really see the DSLR style as an advantage for left-eye dominant shooters, it's only a disadvantage for right-eye dominant shooters compared to a rangefinder-style EVF.

^ that's the thing, even with a DSLR-styled EVF, your nose will still be pressing up against the screen, so I don't really see the DSLR style as an advantage for left-eye dominant shooters, it's only a disadvantage for right-eye dominant shooters compared to a rangefinder-style EVF.

My nose does not smudge the LCD so much as it would were the EVF on the far left.
All these bridge cameras seem to generate a lot of controversy. For me, they have the advantage of being silent, important in wildlife shots. Kevin C at DPReview Fuji Talk Forum used a S100fs to great effect in birding from a blind. The combination of reach, silent shutter, and flash synch at all speeds really worked for him.
As good as anAPS-C or FF DSLR? No, butthen to get the same lens range with these you would have to pay a hefty price in cash and weight.

Please show me a DSLR with a lens which offers a range of 24-624mm (35mm equivalent) being as small and having the same price. It is the zoom which distinguishes this camera from a DSLR. The larger sensor won't help you, if you really need the 35mm equivalent of 624mm and don't carry such a big lens with you.

I am left-eye dominant, trust me it is very very annoying to have to use the RF style VF. I love my Hexar AF but keep having the clean smudges from the back of the camera...

+1. But this applies to all VF cameras, for me.

I am left-eye dominant, too, and therefore the NEX-7 does not offer me the ergonomics I really need, either. However, I don't know it the position of the viewfinder on the NEX-7 is a disadvantage in any way. One of the best things on earth concerning viewfinders is an EVF which can be tilted, so this is one of the reasons why I would prefer the NEX-5N anyway.

True, a tilting EVF is a big plus for many reasons.

It's interesting to read how many of us here use are left eye dominant... I'm right handed and have always been told that it's unusual to be a righty and use my left eye but it's always been that way.

Back