Fuji Fuji iXS-1 Announced

Hopefully it will be a usable tool and not just a boat anchor. I have one on pre-order from Amazon. 'Got lucky. The college where I teach bought it for me under the "professional development" umbrella. For stuff I do at work a longer lens will be very handy.
. . . David

I'm interested too, Luke. I'm concerned about the weight, hence the boat anchor comment. But some of the camera's other attributes have me interested. I'm very curious with such a long zoom when it starts to transition to the smaller apertures away from f2.8
Hopefully the Fuji Guys are right and it will ship soon. I'll post images and comments when it arrives.

BB - thanks. 'Got lucky. :)
. . . David

I'll post images and comments when it arrives.

. . . David

Can't wait to see them. And to hear your comments about the weight. On paper its not much lighter than my K-5, and not a lot smaller either. Actually, just did a comparison at camerasize.com and its BIGGER than my K-5 :(

FujiFilm X-S1 is 3% (4 mm) wider and 10% (10 mm) taller than Pentax K-5.
FujiFilm X-S1 is 104% (76 mm) thicker than Pentax K-5.
FujiFilm X-S1 [945 g] weights 28% (205 grams) more than Pentax K-5 [740 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

FujiFilm X-S1 dimensions: 135x107x149 mm (camera body only)
Pentax K-5 dimensions: 131x97x73 mm (camera body only)

Even with a kit lens, the K-5 comes in at only 30g more. I'm guessing most of the weight of the XS-1 is in the lens... has to be.

isn't the price going to "kill" this - (versus what else is around)

I looked at the FujiHS20/CanonIX80/Oly similar "super zooms" today, and they are half the price or less

isn't the price going to "kill" this - (versus what else is around)

I looked at the FujiHS20/CanonIX80/Oly similar "super zooms" today, and they are half the price or less

I think its more about the sensor size, Bill. The Fuji S100fs which had a larger sensor than usual (1/1.6 IIRC) was also priced fairly high. I wanted one of those, too, until I picked one up in my hands. It was a monster. I bought a K200D with a kit lens for almost $200 less, instead.

Maybe I'm old fashion - but once you get to that size/level/interest/kit go to DSLR and Nikon, (my preferred choice), or Canon as all the equipment and accessories are out there and have been for years.........with a very good used lens market

Once you get to a certain physical size it is the usual "carting all your gear in a bag" syndrome - walking slowly so that you can concentrate of photography whilst your wife and kids march on - or you go out alone on a specific task.

If they want to put a DX sensor in a Canon S95 great, (well I think so), but it seems to me that small sensor are becoming better and better and there is/will be no need to go bigger - and it looks like they will/are developing some clever software to give the 35mm geeks the DOF and FOV that they love - in fact maybe in years to come different stop values will be eliminated and all the old values will disappear, (when/if lens design develops at the same pace at digicams have developed over the past 10 years)

Maybe I'm old fashion - but once you get to that size/level/interest/kit go to DSLR and Nikon, (my preferred choice), or Canon as all the equipment and accessories are out there and have been for years.........with a very good used lens market

Yep, sure. So how much is a Nikon DSLR with flash and decent lenses covering 24 to 624 mm? And how heavy is this set? And how often will I have to change those lenses?

I came to ILC type cameras from a bridge (superzoom). I never wanted to change lenses. Why would I want to buy all these different lenses and carry them around if there is one that can do nearly all of it. So when people say it's too big, are they comparing it to a DSLR with a BIG tele lens on it? No. Are they comparing it to a DSLR with a bag holding a macro lens and 2-3 zoom lenses (to cover the same focal range as the Fuji)? No.

I'm not sure it'll be for me as I really have come to learn a lot about using the dof as a compositional device (and occasionally as a gimmick like some soccer mom with her "nifty fifty") and I'm not sure I want to give it up. But there are certainly times when I'd love to have all that reach at my disposal without having to carry a bunch of lenses in a bag and be constantly changing them. If the IQ is good "enough", I may consider selling off a 100mm-300mm lens that I rarely use and pay the difference.

I'm pretty sure it's not GAS to be considering buying it as a way to REDUCE gear. I'll definitely be reading reviews in the coming weeks and hoping that a local shop will have one so I can see how it feels in hand.

Yep, sure. So how much is a Nikon DSLR with flash and decent lenses covering 24 to 624 mm? And how heavy is this set? And how often will I have to change those lenses?
The coverage to 624 is clearly off the table, weightwise, for DSLR (hell, I cant even *get* a 600mm lens for my pentax). But with that additional weight, you also get better IQ than the fuji can produce. Overall though, I'm really quite excited about it, and cant wait to see David's shots (or yours, since I know you won't be afar behind him in getting one). Here in Oz, we will have to wait... and wait... and wait...

I'm pretty sure it's not GAS to be considering buying it as a way to REDUCE gear. I'll definitely be reading reviews in the coming weeks and hoping that a local shop will have one so I can see how it feels in hand.

+1!!

The coverage to 624 is clearly off the table, weightwise, for DSLR (hell, I cant even *get* a 600mm lens for my pentax). But with that additional weight, you also get better IQ than the fuji can produce.

Possibly. How much better is the question. And will I need it? The X10 produces great images. The X-S1 is an X10 with a different lens. So we'll need to see how good the lens will be.

An M9 with lenses covering 21 to 135 mm will cost you about as much as a very nice car. And you'll probably be years w/o a camera, because Leica will let you wait that long till they can fill your order. Once you finally get your Leica set, it will almost certainly produce better IQ than a Nikon APS-C DLSR with kit lenses covering the same range. Again, the question is: Will the image quality be 20 times better? Because you'll probably pay at least 20 times as much for your M9 set. ;)

So its got "High quality Fujinon 26x optical zoom covering 24-624mm (35mm equivalent) with Intelligent Digital Zoom boosting range up to 1248mm"
at a price less than the Sigma 150 500mm OS Tele or at 50% of the cost of the Nikon prime 300mm f4 AF

what an intelligent Digital Zoom? - is it just a crop of the image?

No need for a 600mm "birding" lens anymore??? ........... hand held BIFs should be a "breeze"

The price of this would go a long way toward a X Pro 1, but of course that's a very different machine. I find this camera fascinating, but not enough to spend $1000 out of curiosity. I really like the IQ of the X-10, and I suspect the output of this would be better than most people think.

BB - yup, I'll probably wait it out but do find myself looking at DSLRs a bit. ;) So, any suggestions as to possible alternatives in the same price range will be greatly appreciated even though I most likely will wait it out for a while.
. . . David

Back