Fuji Fuji iXS-1 Announced

B&H has it listed for $799 USD, supposedly to arrive in early February. That's in line with the price of the X-10, given the bigger lens. IMHO, it's probably a very fine photographic tool. It's strengths and weakness make it appealing to a smaller than average subset of photographers. Of course, they will be thrilled with this camera. I'll never get one, but I won't begrudge them the pleasure.

For those interested - I've tweeted the infamous Fuji Guys about delivery of the X-S1. If and/when I get a tweet back I'll post what they say.
I checked a colleague's D90 this morning as a possible substitute. Nice camera body and controls. Very little noise at ISO2000 but questionable resolution with the kit lens at ISO600 and ISO2000. Interesting. I think I'll hold tight until the X-S1 makes its way to US dealers.
. . . David

Got mine today. Incredible OIS, I have never had anything like this. I can hold 624 mm(!) at 1/5 second(!) and get a pretty clean shot!

The camera is also very fast, in M resultion (EXR), it saves 8 "RAW+JPEG fine" from a high-speed series in about 2.5 seconds, and 16 "JPEG fine only" are saved almost instantly. Huge improvement. Of course, I'm using the fastest SC cards available, but hey, it appears like Fuji did listen and does finally make good use of them.

Firmware is still 1.00, so no WDS fix, yet. The camera is very nice to hold and use, plenty of metal. Doesn't look or feel cheap at all in reality. You should go to a store that has it and get your hands on it.

Photos please. Could we see a couple low light high ISO samples? What is Fuji trying to pull? I wanted to look at their sample images. They are all ISO100. I mean really, is there any camera that doesn't produce lovely shots at ISO100?

I reckon the lowlight shots will just look like those from the X10. Internally (sensor, processing and functions), the cameras are very much the same. Let's hope for better weather, so I can actually go outside and photography something worthwhile. I'll definitely take the X-S1 to Singapore and Bali, where I'll do the shooting for my upcoming book about the X-Pro1.

Sadly, that review site is wrong. Nowhere in the Fuji specs does it say that the camera is weather sealed. Oh well. It does say that it can operate in 10-80% humidity and not get any condensation, but thats hardly the same thing :(

That was one of the 'mistakes' I found too. Another is describing the video capability and in the next sentence saying it has none. It also mentions 'software' in the corners of images. I suspect it is a translation that may explain such errors.

I reckon the lowlight shots will just look like those from the X10. Internally (sensor, processing and functions), the cameras are very much the same. Let's hope for better weather, so I can actually go outside and photography something worthwhile. I'll definitely take the X-S1 to Singapore and Bali, where I'll do the shooting for my upcoming book about the X-Pro1.

flysurfer - do tell us about your upcoming book about the X-Pro1?! It would, of course, be great if you'd like to do so on one of the X-Pro 1 threads...or start one. You know there will be a lot of hungry eyes!

I haven't read that much about this camera, but it certainly sounds very good... Did you say "weather sealed" Sue? Yesterday I was out in the on and off rain...and kept my X10 under my down vest and raincoat...wishing I had an umbrella hat, too.;)

I believe it does have some seals to cover off the main entry points of moisture and dust, which is more than most serious compacts, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as those weather sealed DSLR's from Pentax, Olympus, and Canikon, where they put a seal in literally every panel gap.

799 seems awefully steep for a premium bridge camera. On paper it looks better in some ways than the best that Panasonic or Sony offers, but just not that much more. I think I mentioned it before, I'd be more interested in a larger sensor more conservative size zoom bridge camera with a faster lens.

799 seems awefully steep for a premium bridge camera. On paper it looks better in some ways than the best that Panasonic or Sony offers, but just not that much more. I think I mentioned it before, I'd be more interested in a larger sensor more conservative size zoom bridge camera with a faster lens.

The S100fs was hideously expensive, too. That's why I never bought it, I thought it was overpriced for what it was. I can't remember what size sensor it had - not as large as the current, and it only had a 13 or 14x zoom IIRC.

I must admit I *am* very interested in this one... I haven't the cash flow anymore, to just buy what I want, but once I can get it into my hands and actually look through the viewfinder and have a play... Then I will decide. I've decided what I must do is take an SD card with me to my local camera store, they always have demos on display for people to play with... take a few shots, bring the card home, have a good stickybeak and pixel peep... and make a decision after that.

24 mm wide-angle sharpness appears to be better than with the HS20EXR:

View attachment 48383
This is ISO 400 EXR SN mode with Velvia (in iPhoto).

I couldn't do a meaningful shot with full zoom, yet, as the light was so dull that ISO 800-1000 was the very minimum.

Back