Fuji Fuji 100-400

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I’m trying to decide about a used Fuji 100-400, a new Sigma 100-400 x mount, or none of the above. Any experience, thoughts or random speculation would be welcome. Uses will mainly be birds and wildlife near my rural abode.

I had the Sigma 100-400 on Sony and adapted Z. It's a nice size, reasonably priced and performed well. I think with the reach (aps-c crop and MP) of the X-T5 it would be pretty amazing. Not familiar with the Fuji and not a long lens shooter by any means but really would like to seriously give it a go one day.

I’m trying to decide about a used Fuji 100-400, a new Sigma 100-400 x mount, or none of the above. Any experience, thoughts or random speculation would be welcome. Uses will mainly be birds and wildlife near my rural abode.
The Fuji is heavier by about 8 ounces. I tried the Sigma earlier but found it lagged a bit in focusing. I am about to try it again, since it may have been me as much as the lens.

I've never used the Sigma, but I'm quite happy with my Fuji 70-300 plus 1.4 TC (on X-T5). I don't think the Sigma is teleconverter-compatible. I considered the Fuji 100-400, but decided on smaller and lighter with the 70-300.

I've never used the Sigma, but I'm quite happy with my Fuji 70-300 plus 1.4 TC (on X-T5). I don't think the Sigma is teleconverter-compatible. I considered the Fuji 100-400, but decided on smaller and lighter with the 70-300.
I should have mentioned that I have the 70-300. Great lens, I’d just like a bit more reach. I’ll consider the 1.4 TC.

The 100-400 is not a small lens. It’s decently sharp but it is a big lens on the x-t5. Renting it made me decide it was too big. The 70-300+TC seems like a better combo IMO.

DSCF0085.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSCF0132.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Back