Fuji Fuji 14 2.8 vs 10-24 4.0

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
So, I have the X70 which is my current WA lens. I’m considering the two lenses mentioned in the title. The 14 is small and would go well on the XE3. The 10-24 is more versatile but larger and heavier. The OIS would be nice but I would probably use it on the XH1. Image quality seems good on both. I’d like to hear from anyone that has experience with these lenses. Thanks.

I owned the 14 when I first started shooting with Fuji. And I have shot with a borrowed 10-24 a few times. Your assessment of the image quality for both is correct.

Of the two, I prefer the 14mm. The size and weight are nicer for walking around. The 14 has the manual focus clutch on the lens like the 23mm 1.4 and 16mm 1.4. Which I love and wish Fuji would put on more lenses. The 14 goes to 2.8 aperture. And for me, 14mm is as wide as I can ever see to shoot in.

B&H has a used (8+) 14 for $450> I'll think I'll go for it. My Fuji wide angle options are now the 14, the X70 (28 equiv), and the 27. I would have prefered a 16, but the 16 1.4 is just too heavy and expensive.

Did you consider the new 16mm 2.8? Small, light and fast AF and the focal length you were looking for.

But, the 14mm is a great lens. Loved mine when I had my Fujis for all the reasons Bobby mentioned. Never tried the 10-24 due to the size/weight, although it's supposed to be a great lens.

Here's a link to some of my images taken with the lens, if you're interested: Fuji 14mm f2.8

I think you'll like the 14mm pairs with the 27mm. I had mine paired with the 23 f2 and found it to be a nice combo.

Also, 14mm is a nice wide, without being too wide.

Your post reminded me of the 16 but your images reinforced my desire to get the 14. :D

To be honest, I really didn't think of the new 16. That would have been nice because of its size. Of course, I've kind of talked myself into the 14. I really want to try to shoot with a "wider" angle as a project this summer..

Your post reminded me of the 16 but your images reinforced my desire to get the 14. :D

To be honest, I really didn't think of the new 16. That would have been nice because of its size. Of course, I've kind of talked myself into the 14. I really want to try to shoot with a "wider" angle as a project this summer..

Don't rule out a used Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2 if you are Ok with manual focus. I am currently wielding the Fuji 16/2.8 WR and Samyang 12/2 - love them both. Usually, for me, 24mm FOV is plenty and something that I'm familiar with....so when I want even more, the 18mm FOV of the 12mm f/2 is great.

I don't think people will look for this feature but the 14 2.8 has got perhaps one of the smoothest bokeh rendering in a UWA lens, when you shoot close to your subject, you can accentuate the subject against nice out of focus blur, makes really good looking images.

Personally I don't think out of focus rendering can be overlooked in any type of lenses except projector lenses.

Just to note, my fate has been sealed since yesterday at 12:58.
And mine as of 12:05 a.m. today. Bid low on a 14 on eBay and somehow won the auction. So now I have an 18-55 and a 60 2.4 macro I'll be putting up for sale. (I already have the 10-24 and would never part with it, but it's awful for infrared and the 14 supposedly is great for IR.) So we'll be comparing our 14mm Fuji pictures here soon!

I know it's late, but I'll add an option for those looking for a smaller wide option. No not as wide and no not really in the same class. But small, light, and cheap.

The nice little 15-45 PZ. It really pairs nicely with the X-E3. Edges are a little soft, but most of the frame isn't bad and I probably shouldn't have been at f/5.6.

Attachments

• DSCF4312.jpg
    DSCF4312.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 223
Back