Fuji Showcase Fuji 16mm 1.4

Lockdown is easing a little, so we made it over to Belvoir Castle yesterday...

2020060513-49-47.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2021122015-48-52.jpg

“down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world.

“He will take no man’s money dishonestly and no man’s insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge. He is a lonely man and his pride is that you will treat him as a proud man or be very sorry you ever saw him.

“The story is this man’s adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if it did not happen to a man fit for adventure. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in.”
― Raymond Chandler

One of the things I really love about this lens is its minimum focus distance that let's you take pictures like this:
2021122916-30-01.jpg

This is the setup, using two Godox flashguns and the 16/1.4 (the moon model is actually a lamp so was providing its own light). The RHS flash is fitted with a homemade grid whilst the other has components from the AR-K1 kit from Godox and the roundhead adapter that they do.
IMG-2285.jpg

I was in West Bridgford, Nottingham last week helping to setup a photographic exhibition. I arrived a little early and went for a quick saunter with the X-T3 and 16/1.4. There is an old building behind the library the exhibition is in, the light was reflecting off the windows and onto the block paving in front.
2022021709-35-30.jpg

Today, a traditional landscape picture. I am mainly carrying the 16/1.4 and the Laowa 9/2.8 these days and sometimes I forget to use the 16mm as much as I ought to.
View attachment 403779

It's a truly great lens. I like this shot a lot. The lens is also surprisingly versatile, as the close-up photos of leaves in this thread - both yours and Bobby's - amply illustrate. A few aeons ago, when I first dived into Fuji-land, I vacillated for some time between the 16mm and a Fuji 18mm lens - but finally chose an 18mm compact Fujicron, partially because of its small size. But looking at 16mm images here I'm reminded again of what a fine lens it is.

It's a truly great lens. I like this shot a lot. The lens is also surprisingly versatile, as the close-up photos of leaves in this thread - both yours and Bobby's - amply illustrate. A few aeons ago, when I first dived into Fuji-land, I vacillated for some time between the 16mm and a Fuji 18mm lens - but finally chose an 18mm compact Fujicron, partially because of its small size. But looking at 16mm images here I'm reminded again of what a fine lens it is.
Thanks, glad you like it. The 16/1.4 was my first serious Fuji lens and I used it a lot. I had a brief period where I used the newer 10-24 but didn’t gel with it. Unfortunately I had sold my 16 to fund the 10-24 so then had to sell the 10-24 to buy another 16/1.4. This is the only time I regretted selling a lens so much and had to buy another copy

Back