Fuji Fuji 18-55mm just arrived, first shot

^^ I think that the ~50mm focal length would have been the most highly represented for me last year based on the sheer volume of use of the Panasonic 25mm (m4/3) and latterly the Samsung 30mm (APS-C) lenses, but when I attempted to compile my favourite images there was no real discrimination between different focal lengths or zooms and primes. After the standard zoom, the ~50mm prime would be the second last lens I would consider leaving at home :)

And in case I wasn't totally clear, that's ALL I was talking about. I wasn't dissing zooms in general or this zoom in particular, which looks really good. Just that for my purposes and the way I see my two camera systems evolving, it doesn't make sense for me. But I haven't seen anything but positives from it or about it - pretty fast too...

-Ray

Yes, it does appear to be very nice. I played with one briefly on an XE1. Focus was fast, and the IS works well. I've only seem results o line, but they look very good. Certainly above what is generally called a kit lens.

.Primes vs zooms mostly comes down to a matter of utility of a range of focal length and the utility of a greater aperture range. Both have their advantages, but I would contend that a fast(ish) standard zoom lens is probably the most useful lens you can attach to a camera, mostly on the basis that when travelling it would be the last lens that I would consider leaving behind.

Fair enough, at least technically. For me there are additional factors. One is how I shoot. Another is the look and feel produced by a lens. For both I prefer primes. The only zooms I am interested in for the Fuji X is possibly the 10-24. If its good then it might be useful for landscape.

Anyway, we're wandering as usual. This looks like a cool lens, and I'm delighted that Fuji have once again opted for quality.

One of the things I didn't care for is when using the 18-55 (IS on) with the camera in A mode and Auto-ISO, the camera tends to use way too low of ISO, resulting in shutter speeds that is too slow to capture moving subjects. Fuji needs to allow the user to customize the parameters of Auto-ISO logic.

One of the things I didn't care for is when using the 18-55 (IS on) with the camera in A mode and Auto-ISO, the camera tends to use way too low of ISO, resulting in shutter speeds that is too slow to capture moving subjects. Fuji needs to allow the user to customize the parameters of Auto-ISO logic.

Yes, that is overdue. Must be the leading wish for many. I shoot in M a lot, bu still would appreciate this change.

Yes, that is overdue. Must be the leading wish for many. I shoot in M a lot, bu still would appreciate this change.

Likewise. I was using M mode more often than A mode as a work around. The downside for me when using M is potentially not exposing properly if I don't pay attention to the exposure compensation meter.

I'm usually an Aperture Priority guy, but if the problem is slow shutter, I'll just set that too. With high ISO as good as it is, I wouldn't worry about what the camera selects.....they're all good!

Fair enough, at least technically. For me there are additional factors. One is how I shoot. Another is the look and feel produced by a lens. For both I prefer primes. The only zooms I am interested in for the Fuji X is possibly the 10-24. If its good then it might be useful for landscape.

Anyway, we're wandering as usual. This looks like a cool lens, and I'm delighted that Fuji have once again opted for quality.

Indeed, different requirements, different tools when appropriate. The key thing that really distinguishes a good lens for me is it's ability to convey depth over and above using wide apertures and super thin depth-of-field, and is something I would hope to find in a zoom as well as a prime. Among zooms I think my Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 did this quite well, and it's that similar property that I'd be curious to find if it exists in this Fuji lens. Having said that, choice of viewpoint and composition far outweighs the effect that any lens could have, but it's still nice to know that the characteristics of the lens are helping some.

Likewise. I was using M mode more often than A mode as a work around. The downside for me when using M is potentially not exposing properly if I don't pay attention to the exposure compensation meter.

I like shooting in M, and with these cameras it's a pleasure. But yes, if M is not your usual game it's easy to miss the exposure and end up with some disappointing stuff. Of course you could just say yourself a creative decision. :cool:

.Today, 06:50 PMLuke
I'm usually an Aperture Priority guy, but if the problem is slow shutter, I'll just set that too. With high ISO as good as it is, I wouldn't worry about what the camera selects.....they're all good!

So true; ISO is less of a consideration than it was just a few years ago. My primary output is to print, so often I have to keep an eye on the ISO TOO, which is one of the reasons I shoot M. And, as I say, it's just so easy with my X-Pro 1.

Indeed, different requirements, different tools when appropriate. The key thing that really distinguishes a good lens for me is it's ability to convey depth over and above using wide apertures and super thin depth-of-field, and is something I would hope to find in a zoom as well as a prime. Among zooms I think my Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 did this quite well, and it's that similar property that I'd be curious to find if it exists in this Fuji lens. Having said that, choice of viewpoint and composition far outweighs the effect that any lens could have, but it's still nice to know that the characteristics of the lens are helping some.

I know someone with that 17-55. He loves it. He will often use it to shoot karate classes and it delivers really nice stuff. I know it's not cheap, but the results seem to justify the cost.

Back