Fuji Showcase Fuji 18mm f/2 R

Thanks for this Miguel. I mostly ask because although I really enjoy my x100f with the OVF (even with film sims), and I do like the 35mm equivalent length, 28mm is really my favorite length and I often wished the x100f was slighter wider on my last trip with it. I’m wondering if an xpro3 and this lens can essentially replace my x100f and get me the experience I’m looking for without entertaining a Leica q. Plus my time with the Fuji has proved that I enjoy Fuji enough to perhaps warrant an interchangeable lens body, and the xpro3 seems like it would fit my style the most. I’ll keep mulling. Thanks again!

I'm fairly certain that an X-Pro3 + an 18mm lens, would be significantly less costly than a Leica Q. The Q body is shorter than the X-Pro3 (about 10mm shorter I think) and slightly narrower, but its fixed lens sticks out considerably more than an 18mm protrudes from the XPro body, so weirdly I'm guessing both cameras have a similar size feel. The other obvious downside of the Xpro's OVF with the 18mm lens is having the protruding lens cut off part of your visible frame. I'm guessing it could replace your X100f, and give you the wider 28mm FOV, though you would lose the smaller 'pocketability' of the x100.

The shooting style is something else. I number myself among those who love it, but I know there are also haters, who truly dislike the lack of a rear-screen, and many of its detractors seem to prefer the XPro2. Being a former old-school analog film photographer, the XPro3 feels truly natural and enjoyable to me. Additionally, I continue to be fascinated by Fuji's internal film simulations - and the fact that the XPro3 has the newer 'Classic Neg' sim, while its currently less exprensive predecessor, the XPro-2, does not, was definitely another factor that made me seek the newer camera out.

One other point. A number of smarter people than me have written and commented extensively about the viewfinder differences between the EVF's and OVF's on the XPro3 vs the XPro2. Many reviewers opined that the EVF of the newer Xpro was 'better' than that of the older one, but that their OVF's were very similar (and some preferred the OVF of the XPro2 to that of the XPro3). So if you enjoy and appreciate Fuji's OVF style of shooting, a lightly used X-Pro2 might be a real bargain. Whereas for myself, being basically a hardcore EVF user, I have to say that the EVF of the X-Pro3 has to be one of the 'best' I've ever used. By 'best' I mean 'subjectively satisfying'. (Another of my former favorite digitial mirrorless EVF's was the one on the Pen F, which I really appreciated, though if I had to compare them I prefer that of my current X-Pro3.)

I want to use this one more, I do love the results I am getting. It's definitely the best 28mm equiv. lens I ever had the pleasure to own.
Mostly, I document my family with this lens. I don't have too many photos that I am comfortable to share (for privacy reasons).

I think all of it is Astia SOOC.

View attachment 306560

View attachment 306561

View attachment 306563
To me that's very convincing. I don't know any Fuji owner with that lens that doesn't love it.

I'm fairly certain that an X-Pro3 + an 18mm lens, would be significantly less costly than a Leica Q. The Q body is shorter than the X-Pro3 (about 10mm shorter I think) and slightly narrower, but its fixed lens sticks out considerably more than an 18mm protrudes from the XPro body, so weirdly I'm guessing both cameras have a similar size feel. The other obvious downside of the Xpro's OVF with the 18mm lens is having the protruding lens cut off part of your visible frame. I'm guessing it could replace your X100f, and give you the wider 28mm FOV, though you would lose the smaller 'pocketability' of the x100.

The shooting style is something else. I number myself among those who love it, but I know there are also haters, who truly dislike the lack of a rear-screen, and many of its detractors seem to prefer the XPro2. Being a former old-school analog film photographer, the XPro3 feels truly natural and enjoyable to me. Additionally, I continue to be fascinated by Fuji's internal film simulations - and the fact that the XPro3 has the newer 'Classic Neg' sim, while its currently less exprensive predecessor, the XPro-2, does not, was definitely another factor that made me seek the newer camera out.

One other point. A number of smarter people than me have written and commented extensively about the viewfinder differences between the EVF's and OVF's on the XPro3 vs the XPro2. Many reviewers opined that the EVF of the newer Xpro was 'better' than that of the older one, but that their OVF's were very similar (and some preferred the OVF of the XPro2 to that of the XPro3). So if you enjoy and appreciate Fuji's OVF style of shooting, a lightly used X-Pro2 might be a real bargain. Whereas for myself, being basically a hardcore EVF user, I have to say that the EVF of the X-Pro3 has to be one of the 'best' I've ever used. By 'best' I mean 'subjectively satisfying'. (Another of my former favorite digitial mirrorless EVF's was the one on the Pen F, which I really appreciated, though if I had to compare them I prefer that of my current X-Pro3.)
Thanks again Miguel. An original Q goes for about $2500 nowadays, so yes, the xpro option is less...until I start adding more lenses. But then again, you can’t add any lenses to the Leica!
I love the implementation of the rear screen on the 3, and am also a fan of classic neg. I use the classic neg simulation on my x100f via DxO, as it’s not a native simulation. And I’m used to the bottom right being cut off already.
Hmmm, decisions decisions

I don't use mine enough. Note to self : USE THE 18mm !!

Web 1500_FUJZ1368 Surfers Corner toilet and showers Muizenberg 18mm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Two more quick shots with my XF18, which partially reveal why I am coming to like it more and more.
The first, a close-up on a tiny Halloween-themed light - in the shape of a Skull, no less - that adorns some bushes. I spotted this while walking around town, and was surprised that the XF18, which I think of as more of having a w-i-d-e angle POV, is also useful for a closer-up shot.

XPro3_May1_22_skull_light.jpg

The second, a window display with reflections. Somehow, this small lens rendered it very close to the way I was seeing it, in my mind's eye, before pressing the shutter button.

XPro3_May1_22_shopwindow(Ashland,OR).jpg

Both shots taken using the X-Pro3's in-camera 'Classic Neg' film simulation.

In these troubled pandemic and occasionally post-pandemic times, masking up - for the safety of others, as well as your own - has become mandatory, for caring individuals. And that includes health-conscious zombies as well...

XT3_Sept10_22_Zombie_head.jpg

Taken in the midnight hour, using an interesting film simulation 'recipe' developed by the creative Portuguese Fuji photographer, Luis Costa.

Two shots taken this afternoon of my Aunt's ancient (1930's vintage) L.C. Smith & Corona typewriter, with the small XF18. An unassuming smallish lens that just seems to get the job done. It has a way of capturing light in an interesting (and definitely non-clinical) manner.

The keys, on the front side---

XT3_Sept12_22_typewriter_keys.jpg

And the rear, a true mechanical dinosaur---

XT3_Sept12_22_L.C.Smith&Corona#2.jpg

Both shot with the Superia 800 film simulation recipe, from Ritchie Roesch's Fuji-X Weekly website - which is inching its way toward the top of my small list of current favorite Fuji 'recipes'.

Same here. It's a real challenge to get me to take the 35mm f1.4 off of the xpro-2, but when I do, the 18mm f2 goes on and it's a treat.
I agree with you all about the 18. I had it for a long time, and for some ridiculous reason I don’t even recall now, sold it. I’ve just newly acquired a dead mint one once again, and I’m looking forward to getting reacquainted with it this week. @MiguelATF your pics are inspiring!

The one word that comes to mind, about this little lens, is: 'versatility'.
It's good for coming in close and capturing details--

XT3_Sept16_22_glasses.jpg

But also, in spite of its slightly wider angle, it reminds me of the utility of the old small 35mm lens I used to use on my Pentax film SLR's - sort of a wider version of a normal lens, if that makes any sense. Wide enough to give a sense of place---

XT3_Sept16_22_Chevy_pickup_trailer_park(BV).jpg

But it lets you move in a just a bit closer to focus on one thing---

XT3_Sept16_22_Buick_Special(LC).jpg

Actually, come to think of it, it's got the same FOV as the Ricoh GR and the Coolpix A, two wonderful - and equally versatile - small cameras. If I still had one, I might not be as enamored of this little piece of Fuji glass; but I no longer have either...and this is a worthy successor.

Back