Fuji Showcase Fuji 18mm f/2 R

I had sorta the opposite experience with the 23 1.4 lens. I read glowing review after review, and couldn't order it fast enough. Once the initial joy of having my old familiar X100 FOV with an extra stop back, I started looking at the shots, and not liking how it performs wide open, even without pixel peeping. It's really the only purchase I've regretted (if you don't count with 14 2.8, which was a great lens that I just couldn't "see" through).

Yeah well, I'm not selling my 16 to fund anything . I don't need it everyday, but when I need it I NEED IT Lol. It has something I just can't put into words other than Magical. When I get mobile again I think the 90 will fall into this category. The 35 has already proven to be an ultra sharp keeper, so the 18 could just be that , I want to have fun lens:2thumbs:

I've tried telling myself I'm a one camera, one lens guy. But every time I've tried that, it didn't last long. I now have the 18 f2, 23 f2, 35 f2, and 50-230. I like them all, and they all have their uses. I truly wish I could discipline myself to stick with one camera and lens, but I also don't have a "niche" in photography. Sometimes I like to do nature close-ups; sometimes I like wide, expansive waterfall shots; sometimes I like snapping images of critters in the yard. Sigh.

I've tried telling myself I'm a one camera, one lens guy. But every time I've tried that, it didn't last long. I now have the 18 f2, 23 f2, 35 f2, and 50-230. I like them all, and they all have their uses. I truly wish I could discipline myself to stick with one camera and lens, but I also don't have a "niche" in photography. Sometimes I like to do nature close-ups; sometimes I like wide, expansive waterfall shots; sometimes I like snapping images of critters in the yard. Sigh.

Being a one camera with one, maybe two lenses is ideal for me. The reality of the different things I shoot have proven 3-4 lenses is the minimum. And in my current situation, that is also with "borrowing" the 50-230 from my son's kit on occasion.

I did make most of year at one time with the X-Pro2 with a 16/56 combo. Covering events, weddings, portraits, candids, and landscapes. The images I came away with were really good. I just had to keep the mindset that there were going to be several things I would miss and could do nothing about.

Being just an enthusiast, I really don't need so much gear. I have thought quite a bit that I wished there was a way to use my imagery for more than just web posting and the occasional print, but I have no idea for how to get there. The market is saturated with people like me who discovered MILC over the past 5-10 years. I envy those who love photography and have found a way to derive a sustainable living from it.

And now I've taken the thread waaaaaay OT. :sorry: Back to the XF 18.

I'm comparing the images on this forum between the 18 and the 27 (why oh why can't they make a 23 pancake ) and to my eye it's clear cut that I like the way this lens renders and I'm hard pressed to find one 27mm image that has pop.

I'm comparing the images on this forum between the 18 and the 27 (why oh why can't they make a 23 pancake ) and to my eye it's clear cut that I like the way this lens renders and I'm hard pressed to find one 27mm image that has pop.
They do make a 23mm pancake. It’s just permanently attached to a wonderful series of cameras ;)

I found one from the archives
i-hCcZc2D-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'd say my emtional "file" on the 27 is, roughly:

- Always enjoy actually using it, it's tiny, focus is quick enough, it's TINY, and also it's pretty small. Oh and it's tiny.
- Sometimes surprised by a good image from it, more often just so-so about what comes out of the camera.

Back