Fuji Showcase Fuji 18mm f/2 R

Testing out the low light capabilities of the X-T20 + 18mm. No PP except resizing for web upload.

DSCF1088.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF1089.JPG

DSCF1091.JPG

DSCF1092.JPG

March white-out. Two counties over from me got more than 20" over the last two days. Not surprising, as one of the worst snowfalls ever seen in this area was 25 years ago yesterday. Final images with the XF 18, as it sold last night. It's a nice lens, but I'm going for the flexibility of the 18-55.

DSCF1600.JPG
DSCF1601.JPG

Mish mash of fun, various processing.

Partially reviving this older thread of a 'Fujicron' lens - the XF18 f/2 - which I haven't used all that much but which I find myself appreciating more and more, every time I shoot with it. This was taken in the my local library, with available (and rather dim) indoor lighting, where there is a small exhibit of very old Japanese dolls.

XPro3_Jan27_22_Japanese_doll@Library.jpg

Partially reviving this older thread of a 'Fujicron' lens - the XF18 f/2 - which I haven't used all that much but which I find myself appreciating more and more, every time I shoot with it. This was taken in the my local library, with available (and rather dim) indoor lighting, where there is a small exhibit of very old Japanese dolls.

View attachment 289385
Miguel, tell me what you think about the combo of the xpro 3 and the 18mm f2. I’m highly interested in this exact setup, but want to use the OVF. I hear there are no frame lines for 18mm, but the edges of the OVF are essentially at 18mm and it’s still easy to frame accurately. Do you use the OVF with the 18? What are your thoughts in general?

Miguel, tell me what you think about the combo of the xpro 3 and the 18mm f2. I’m highly interested in this exact setup, but want to use the OVF. I hear there are no frame lines for 18mm, but the edges of the OVF are essentially at 18mm and it’s still easy to frame accurately. Do you use the OVF with the 18? What are your thoughts in general?

First of all, your OVF question - and unfortunately I can't help you at all as I've been shooting with the EVF basically 100% of the time. Why, you ask? Because I'm semi addicted to both the Xpro-3's in-camera film simulations - mainly the Classic Neg but also a handful of others, including a modified Acros B&W sim, and several custom color profiles from Ritchie Roesch's cool Fuji-X Weekly website - and shooting with the EVF allows me to see the scene much more closely to how it will turn out. I'm also honestly not a fan of the way the camera AF-focuses while looking through the OVF.

But - out of curiosity - I just picked up the camera with the 18mm lens mounted - and checked the framing. I think what you said is more or less correct - the entire frame of the OVF seems to correspond to the 18mm FOV as seen through the EVF. The main difference being that one sees the lens protruding in lower frame right, which means it (the lens) cuts off the lower right-hand corner of the 'frame' which you see.

Now for my thoughts in general. When I first bought the camera, it only came with one lens, the (superb) f/1.4 35mm. I found it such a brilliant lens to use, for so many reasons, that when I finally bought the 18mm, I didn't use it that much. But, lately, I've been using it more and more, and coming to value and appreciate it more. One of the biggest things, and this is purely subjective, is that with the 18mm, the camera somehow 'feels' much more compact to me. The FOV is very, very close to several compact Ricoh's (a GRD and two different GR's) that I used to own and shoot quite a bit with, but I find myself appreciating the shooting style of the XPro3 - through its eye-level EVF - much more than I did with the Ricoh's. It makes for a more thoughtful style of photography, if that makes any sense.

To put it differently - obviously the XPro3 is never going to be a camera which you can just stick inside your jacket pocket - but with the 18mm, it feels much closer to that vibe.

I still haven't used the lens in enough situations - with enough different apertures and ISO settings - to truly have a more precise sense of its capabilities and range (something I've done more with my 35mm lens) - but it continues to please and surprise me.

One final and weird subjective comment: somehow, using the 18mm on the XPro3, it doesn't feel quite as 'wide' to me as the similar FOV on either my Ricoh's, or on a nice Nikon Coolpix A I owned briefly for awhile. I tend to favor a slightly-wide angle as my version of a 'normal' lens, on my analog film Pentaxes I shot a lot with 35mm lenses, and on some Pentax DSLR's I've had, the DA21 was my favorite slightly-wide-angle-but-still-feels-more-like-a-normal lens to me. Lately, I've started feeling that way a little about the 18mm lens. (While, conversely, the 35mm, even though it corresponds more closely to the classic nifty-fifty focal length, has a bit more of a telephoto feel to me at times.)

Hope some of these ramblings are helpful, Chris :geek:

Last edited:
First of all, your OVF question - and unfortunately I can't help you at all as I've been shooting with the EVF basically 100% of the time. Why, you ask? Because I'm semi addicted to both the Xpro-3's in-camera film simulations - mainly the Classic Neg but also a handful of others, including a modified Acros B&W sim, and several custom color profiles from Ritchie Roesch's cool Fuji-X Weekly website - and shooting with the EVF allows me to see the scene much more closely to how it will turn out. I'm also honestly not a fan of the way the camera AF-focuses while looking through the OVF.

But - out of curiosity - I just picked up the camera with the 18mm lens mounted - and checked the framing. I think what you said is more or less correct - the entire frame of the OVF seems to correspond to the 18mm FOV as seen through the EVF. The main difference being that one sees the lens protruding in lower frame right, which means it (the lens) cuts off the lower right-hand corner of the 'frame' which you see.

Now for my thoughts in general. When I first bought the camera, it only came with one lens, the (superb) f/1.4 35mm. I found it such a brilliant lens to use, for so many reasons, that when I finally bought the 18mm, I didn't use it that much. But, lately, I've been using it more and more, and coming to value and appreciate it more. One of the biggest things, and this is purely subjective, is that with the 18mm, the camera somehow 'feels' much more compact to me. The FOV is very, very close to several compact Ricoh's (a GRD and two different GR's) that I used to own and shoot quite a bit with, but I find myself appreciating the shooting style of the XPro3 - through its eye-level EVF - much more than I did with the Ricoh's. It makes for a more thoughtful style of photography, if that makes any sense.

To put it differently - obviously the XPro3 is never going to be a camera which you can just stick inside your jacket pocket - but with the 18mm, it feels much closer to that vibe.

I still haven't used the lens in enough situations - with enough different apertures and ISO settings - to truly have a more precise sense of it capabilities and range (something I've done more with my 35mm lens) - but it continues to please and surprise me.

One final and weird subjective comment: somehow, using the 18mm on the XPro3, it doesn't feel quite as 'wide' to me as the similar FOV on either my Ricoh's, or on a nice Nikon Coolpix A I owned briefly for awhile. I tend to favor a slightly-wide angle as my version of a 'normal' lens, on my analog film Pentaxes I shot a lot with 35mm lenses, and on some Pentax DSLR's I've had, the DA21 was my favorite slightly-wide-angle-but-still-feels-more-like-a-normal lens to me. Lately, I've started feeling that way a little about the 18mm lens. (While, conversely, the 35mm, even though it corresponds more closely to the classic nifty-fifty focal length, has a bit more of a telephoto feel to me at times.)

Hope some of these ramblings are helpful, Chris :geek:
Thanks for this Miguel. I mostly ask because although I really enjoy my x100f with the OVF (even with film sims), and I do like the 35mm equivalent length, 28mm is really my favorite length and I often wished the x100f was slighter wider on my last trip with it. I’m wondering if an xpro3 and this lens can essentially replace my x100f and get me the experience I’m looking for without entertaining a Leica q. Plus my time with the Fuji has proved that I enjoy Fuji enough to perhaps warrant an interchangeable lens body, and the xpro3 seems like it would fit my style the most. I’ll keep mulling. Thanks again!

I want to use this one more, I do love the results I am getting. It's definitely the best 28mm equiv. lens I ever had the pleasure to own.
Mostly, I document my family with this lens. I don't have too many photos that I am comfortable to share (for privacy reasons).

I think all of it is Astia SOOC.

XTXT7095.jpg

XTXT9460.jpg

XTXT9440.jpg

Back