Fuji Fuji 18mm f1.4 or 23mm f1.4 LM WR- how to decide?

TumblingTiger

To anyone who's used the Fujifilm XF 18mm F1.4 R LM WR and the Fujifilm XF23mm F1.4 LM WR, what key factors might you consider when trying to decide which to add to one's lens collection? I guess a lot of it comes down to 18 vs. 23 focal length. Thanks!

I’ve owned both. Both are incredible, very well built lenses. Between these two, it is literally just a matter of which focal length you prefer.

What subject matter do you primarily shoot? A lot depends on knowing what you want to shoot before you decide on what lens will best enhance your style
Can't go wrong with either - both are very nice (I've got the 18 and the 23, however not the 1.4's)

What subject matter do you primarily shoot? A lot depends on knowing what you want to shoot before you decide on what lens will best enhance your style
Can't go wrong with either - both are very nice (I've got the 18 and the 23, however not the 1.4's)
I'd be shooting mostly people at indoor events, but occasionally outdoors. Might also be used to take pics of people speaking on stage at business conferences, capturing the audience as context.

Yes it does depend on what you want to shoot, but applying the general principle that I use with RF cameras probably won’t hurt, that is; 28mm equiv focal length for wide, 50mm equiv for more particular subjects, with 35mm equiv for when you have/ want to take just the one lens. Yes that means owning both lenses you’re talking about, but the systems works and in this instance it’s going to as there’s no ‘bad’ Fuji prime. You will only benefit.

Spacing with other lenses in your kit could be beneficial. If you already have the 33 for instance, I'd probably go with the 18. Or if you have the 56 the 23 makes a nice pair.
I've read people saying that their 18 is better than their 23 but not the other way around. I couldn't tell; they were both outstanding.
For people, the 23 seems the logical choice but I do like the look of 18 - just not too tight - you don't want to enlarge some features.

Last edited:
I'd be shooting mostly people at indoor events, but occasionally outdoors. Might also be used to take pics of people speaking on stage at business conferences, capturing the audience as context.
Having shot many events. Unless the lighting you will be working in is horrible or really low. The 16-55mm 2.8 is a far better option for event work. And it can be had used in great condition for the same price as the 18mm 1.4 or 23mm 1.4.

Back