Fuji Showcase Fuji 35mm F2 WR

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I haven't been able to get out and shoot much with the 35mm f2. But so I am very happy with the image quality. The AF speed and silence I am loving. If this makes it's way into the 35 1.4 for a version 2 I'll definitely add one back into my kit.

_S108667-L.jpg

_S108757-L.jpg

_S108791-L.jpg

_S108864-L.jpg

I think that once the lens range is filled out we will see variants of existing lenses at the same focal length and Mk.II versions of existing favourites.

Gazing into my crystal ball I therefore predict (store this away and you can beat me over the head with it when it doesn't happen...):

1. A fisheye, 6-8mm
2. A fast (f2.8-ish) single focal-length super tele in the 500-600mm range
3. A 27mm f2.0
4. A Mk. II 18mm f2.0, 35mm f1.4, 18-55mm, 60mm, all with faster focus and weatherproofing

Bear in mind that the next generation sensor is likely to be 24mp or greater. Some of the older glass will struggle to produce stellar results with that.

I really like this lens a lot. However, I discovered an interesting situation while shooting some quick family shots of my wife and son right after the lens arrived. Both of them wear glasses that have lenses that are coated with a very weird anti-scratch material that seems to block getting a really super sharp autofocus on their eyelashes with the focus remaining out on the glasses' lens surface - just enough to slightly knock the focus out on their eyes when the lens is wide open. I think I've noticed this with other lenses before but for some reason it seemed to be more noticeable when I admittedly went pixel peeping with images shot with the 35/f2. I think it's because the lens is ever so slightly low contrast, (happy, happy), hence giving the false impression of a bit of sharpness loss wide open. 'Don't know but just thinking out loud here.
Still, the lens has remained on my X-E2 for a couple of weeks now and it is certainly a favorite and a keeper.
Attached is a JPEG - straight out of camera, ISO320, cropped in LRCC with no other corrections. 'Looks fine to me. 'Thought I'd share.
. . . David
Darlene - Super Tight Crop (1 of 1).jpg

I really like this lens a lot. However, I discovered an interesting situation while shooting some quick family shots of my wife and son right after the lens arrived. Both of them wear glasses that have lenses that are coated with a very weird anti-scratch material that seems to block getting a really super sharp autofocus on their eyelashes with the focus remaining out on the glasses' lens surface - just enough to slightly knock the focus out on their eyes when the lens is wide open. I think I've noticed this with other lenses before but for some reason it seemed to be more noticeable when I admittedly went pixel peeping with images shot with the 35/f2. I think it's because the lens is ever so slightly low contrast, (happy, happy), hence giving the false impression of a bit of sharpness loss wide open. 'Don't know but just thinking out loud here.

I know with the X100 lens, when it was wide open at f2, it had a soft haze to it that was GONE by 2.8 or so, even in the center. It looked pleasant for faces, but not for detailed shots.

Kyle - Thanks. I posted a similar narrative over on the PL site. A recent photo of our son's girl friend at f2, (she wears glasses, no lens coating), confirmed something is going on since her eyelashes were very sharp. Anyway, enough pixel peeping for me and as I said a keeper for sure.
. . . David

The 35mm f2 has stayed glued to one of my bodies since receiving it. I thought it would be lens I used for certain situations at events when I needed wider than the 55mm end of the 55-200. And for a light walk around with the family. Instead, the f2 quickly won me over as far more than I intended it for. Fuji has been nailing it with their lens releases.

_B103707-L.jpg

Thank you.. Isn't it just (the contrast I mean!) I "test" by simply using the camera as I do, handheld, spot-metered (same spot in each comparison shot for both exposure and focus). I don't tweak anything in post, so what you see is what I got. I think it's most noticeable in the grain of the carved door and in the painted crest.

Back