Fuji Fuji 35R 1.4 sharpness and other Qs...

Crashwins

Regular
I had the X100S - twice - and moved back to Canon..now, I'm officially off the Canon wagon and truly want to give Fuji another round, especially with a body with interchangeable lenses.

Shooting-wise I do portraits and street..that's really it. No sport, but I think the Fujis can handle action shots if the shot is staged (correct?). Never had a problem with this and my X100S.

I'd like to grab an older body like the XE1 to get my feet wet. Not really looking to spend 56 1.2 money yet, but the 35 seems magical given the FL (50 equiv.) My question is sharpness. Apologies if this has been gone over and feel free to link me to that if it has. I searched many reviews and didn't find a lot of info on it. I'm not super into the "suspended in fog" look of fast lenses in the FF variety. I had a 85 1.8 on my 6D and I always shot around f2.8 for the most bokeh I'd need. It occurs to me that the 35 1.4 would be fairly equivalent at 1.4 in terms of DOF if shot wide open. How is it at 1.4? Soft, sharp, or maybe sharpens up very well in post? Wide open, I always found my X100s pretty sharp. Would love to switch over, but when I need the bokeh shot, I can't have it be super soft either. Thanks in advance for the input!

The Fujinon 35mm is a pretty fantastic lens, especially given the price point.

I've done side by side shots with a Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH just for fun (https://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/sets/72157644086472149/). I've also previously compared it with the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 stopped down, and I wouldn't want to be the one to try and pick them apart based on sharpness. I can't offer you test figures like MTF comparisons, but I've owned quite a few 50mm equivalent lenses and the Fuji is up there with the best of them for IQ in my opinion.

Back