Fuji Showcase Fuji 56mm f/1.2 R

I lust after this lens. Alas, without stability it is no good for me. F/1.2 and razor thin dof ? Ain't gonna happen for me.....uh...uh....no way. A tripod just destroys reaction to events. Boo Hooo!.

Loving this lens especially the APD version.

I grabbed a few photos of my wife recently with this lens, very bright so needed the ND filter (supplied) to keep aperture wide & shutter suitable speed correct as I used daylight balanced flash (EF-X20 on camera).

A couple of images from the shoot.

The local cyclists union asked me to photo an event for them, again. They asked pretty last-minute, again. They also told me they had at least 2 other volunteers already photo'ing it, and I began to feel lazy. I've photo'd their parties 3 or 4 times before - it's a blast, I have tons of friends there, and I enjoy it. But I don't feel like it's this huge new mountain to climb, like I did the first few. I really enjoy it, but I began to feel lazy, and told them we might not be able to make it. It's a 45 minute bike ride right after work with a kid into downtown, then an early exit to bike her home to bed - she changes into her PJs at the event, then lays down in the long. covered cargo bike we have, under a blanket and falls asleep on the way home.

So I went to work with no gear that day, planning to just come home and have a quiet evening with the wife. Then at 4:45 the wife emails and says "....ehhh I feel like we should really go." So I said "ok, grab my camera bag on your way out." But then I realized I had no idea what lenses were in it... they don't all fit by any stretch.

When I arrived at the event, I opened the bag and found:

- 27mm 2.8 pancake (all but useless in a dark event space with no flash)
- Rokinon 12mm f2 (great but manual focus, which really requires shooting from the EVF to get focus right, and at these I often shoot at arm's length to be stealthy. Also, believe it or not, f2 is still pushing it to get good enough shutter speeds. Every stop counts.
- 56 f1.2... thank jebus.

SO I shot maybe 5 or 6 shots with the 12, then locked the 56 on, and made the most of it. I had to split early (8:15), but I got a few as quickly as I could. That lens did me good. Wonderful thing to have for events.

27096035656_242191924c_b.jpg
KBRX8020
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

26525258003_9db98e87de_b.jpg
KBRX7981
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

26525257823_dfc542ef06_b.jpg
KBRX8024
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

27096035496_f69da2443e_b.jpg
KBRX8036
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

One from last week. X-E2, XF56mm, ISO640, processed in LRCC and Color Efex Pro 4. Lighting with softbox/fluorescent photo lamp and ambient studio lighting.
. . . David
Haley - Head Shot (1 of 1).jpg

I lust after this lens. Alas, without stability it is no good for me. F/1.2 and razor thin dof ? Ain't gonna happen for me.....uh...uh....no way. A tripod just destroys reaction to events. Boo Hooo!.

The Fujis do pretty well at higher ISO. If you set it to 800 or 1600 ISO you could probably get a fast enough shutter speed to do without stabilization in most circumstances.

The Fujis do pretty well at higher ISO. If you set it to 800 or 1600 ISO you could probably get a fast enough shutter speed to do without stabilization in most circumstances.

Thanks, yeah I do appreciate that, but it still limits me to tripod and/or high ISO. The other problem now is that I have no spare cash left having lashed out on a Canon 7d mk2 for my birding shots (with 100-400l mk1 lens with IS)

Cheers for the thought though, appreciated.

Pete

Back