Fuji Fuji and Portraits

Hi Guys ..
I am loving my Fuji x100 and thinking of getting Fuji XE1. I shoot lots of portraits and was wondering which lens is the best one in Fuji line up for portrait shoots ?
Thanks in advance .I am addicted to Olympus 45 mm 1.8 and 60 mm 2.8 for portraits .
Cheers

Right now as far as native lenses go the closest to what you have for your m43 would be the Fuji 60mm f2.4 macro, but Fuji does have a 56mm f1.2 on their roadmap.

35mm f/1.4 is my go-to portrait lens, though I've used the 60mm f/2.4 macro as well. The 55-200mm zoom can also work, if you have room to back up. FWIW, I find the 60mm Fuji macro isn't ideal for portraits; it has the slowest AF of the Fuji lens lineup, and at f/2.4 I find it a little lacking in the subject isolation department. It's a great lens, this just isn't its strong suit.

The 56mm f/1.2 is really what you probably want (something similar to your beloved Oly 45mm f/1.8), and it's slated for release early next year (Jan).

Ah, the call of Fuji. You just can't ignore it, can you? Bhup my friend, that is a slow, molasses-lined slope you're descending into. Your OM-D might soon be jealous. :D

I find the 35mm more than enough for my needs. Not too wide, not too long. (Unless you'd want to fill up the frame with the whole face or something, I guess.)

Ah, the call of Fuji. You just can't ignore it, can you? Bhup my friend, that is a slow, molasses-lined slope you're descending into. Your OM-D might soon be jealous. :D

I find the 35mm more than enough for my needs. Not too wide, not too long. (Unless you'd want to fill up the frame with the whole face or something, I guess.)

Thanks a lot:)
I won't be buying loads of lenses . My concept is very clear . Two camera bodies and two lenses at a time . If Fuji XE1 comes in with 18-55 and possibly 35 mm 1.4 then X100 will get the axe. My MFT arsenal consists of 45 mm 1.8 and 14-54 mm MrkII. I don't have OMD EM5 and 45 mm 1.8 as I sold them to change from silver to black versions .
Kind regards
Bhupinder

this is the biggest single issue squashing my fuji xp1/xe1 gas--lack of a portrait lens. i'm really not sure why they have a 14,18,23,and 27 but no portrait lens. doesnt make any sense to me at all. shouldve been part of the 'original three', imo. i love the results i see but i personally just cant buy into a system that doesnt have a portrait lens.

I agree that the AF makes things a little more interesting than it should be. The aperture could be faster. And I prefer a longer focal length.
Yet, the 60 has a very nice quality to it. With a smooth OOF render.
9754291165_e8e05dc783_z.jpg

9943396584_52ef39a8fc_z.jpg

I think(know) the new 56mm will be too $$ for me. Hopefully they'll add a slower 85/90mm soon.
In the meantime, adapted lenses are keeping me going in the mid/portrait length.
And I just took delivery of the 55-200.

this is the biggest single issue squashing my fuji xp1/xe1 gas--lack of a portrait lens. i'm really not sure why they have a 14,18,23,and 27 but no portrait lens. doesnt make any sense to me at all. shouldve been part of the 'original three', imo. i love the results i see but i personally just cant buy into a system that doesnt have a portrait lens.

Presumably, they figured the 60mm macro would fill that niche until the portrait lens was available. Which sort of makes sense, as quite a few people do use macro lenses as portrait lenses as well. If the AF and/or aperture was a little faster it would be a better solution IMO - but, as mnhoj so nicely illustrated, it can still pinch hit pretty well in the portrait arena until the 56 f/1.2 hits the street.

yup, thats a beautiful color portrait, really. i personally wouldve appreciated the ability to blur the background a good deal more in the color photo. but no doubt that photo shows excellent detail and color.

Back