Fuji Fuji announces the X-A1

X-M1 has the X-Trans sensor design, X-A1 just the standard Sony 16 MP one that is so common these days.

The 2 lens kit for the XA seems neat..hopefully it will come to the XM series as well.

The XA1 looks a bit strange to me, is it just the XM1 with a different (cheaper) sensor? I'm not sure how they want to position this one unless it's simply on price.

Yeah, the DPR blurb says it's essentially and X-M1 with a "regular" sensor. There are people who don't like/want the unique X-Trans rendering, so now Fuji has a camera for them.

Also, IMO, having a kit lens that starts at 16mm is a feather in Fuji's cap.

"The FUJIFILM X-A1 has all the features consumers will be looking for when venturing into compact system cameras for the first time." (Underline added by me)
Fuji, is trying to entice "first timers" into a "better" P&S. , is how I see this. Once "in", folks are prone to move up to a better one. I personally, think it's good strategy. I don't have a fuji. And, maybe never will, though they do have a strong appeal.

Well, I kind of have mixed feelings here. Taken by itself, the X-A1 doesn't look bad. But then consider Sony's NEX3N for $499 and A3000 for $399 and it's not so clear cut. Yes, I know Fuji offers a nice line-up of excellent lenses. But they're not cheap. If we're talking about the X-A1 appealing to people moving up from point and shoots, the NEX line may have more appeal.

This is a serious compact, and this is Serious Compacts. One would think that this camera and the users of this site were made for each other. ;)

Back