Fuji Fuji Convert

Bandrews

Rookie
Afternoon all. Recently sold all my Sony Nex kit and bought an XE1 with the kit zoom and the 35 1.8. It seems a big step up in terms of usability and control; the nex always seemed more like an advanced compact than a scaled down DSLR.

I don't have much experience with cameras - the Nex was my first "PASM" camera having used cheap compacts and camera phones until last year. I had dabbled with analogue but I never really clicked with the whole process and being born on the cusp of being a Digital Native/Digital Immigrant, fell down on the side of digital.

The Nex got me hooked on photography so last year I signed up for evening classes at the local art college to learn some of the fundamentals and now looking for a local photography club to join.

I soon felt I had outgrown the Nex 5N with the lengthy and confusing menus system causing me to miss some shots so I started looking for an upgrade. I had always lusted after Leicas - mostly for their style but they were way out of my price range. The XE 1 seemed pretty much perfect - looks great, takes great photos, not too pricey, full control, intuitive to use.

Recently I've been amused at how many of my friends have bought massive DSLRs that they haul along to every wedding or party only to leave them in auto. When I told the, about the concept of compact system cameras, it completely baffled them - it is still hard for some people to believe that you don't need a big, black, bulky box to get pro photos.

Anyway, enough waffle. Look forward to joining in a bit more and watching the Fujifilm X system grow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome aboard Bandrews! Yes, smaller cameras have come along way. But some folks are indeed still baffled that a DSLR is not necessarily "it" anymore. Although, I was playing with the Nikon D600 at the local shop yesterday, and was actually enjoying it in spite of its monstrous size and weight.

Bandrews, congrats and welcome! I think you've hit upon what drew most of us to the Fuji X's - the sensible controls, the size and it goes without saying - the image quality. I do hope you'll share some of your photographs with us soon. :drinks:

Welcome !! My NEX sure performs and delivers like a "proper camera" (wink) but contratulations on the X-E, it's a superb machine, with excellent lenses.

Welcome !! My NEX sure performs and delivers like a "proper camera" (wink) but contratulations on the X-E, it's a superb machine, with excellent lenses.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the output was fantastic - but digging around in menus was infuriating. Kept forgetting if certain settings were in the Camera menu or the Setup menu. On the XE1, if it isn't a physical button, it's probably in the Q menu.

Hardly any photos yet - but off to Sri Lanka for 10 days at the end of March so hoping to get some beauties there! Need some practice first though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back