Fuji Fuji Finepix X100 prototype preview

Yes, I'm going to have to say that even though this is a "preview", it's a very good write up. It's great to have a really nice play by play with close ups of the controls, which seem really nice to me especially with regard to placement. I'm also extremely interested in this hybrid viewfinder and very very happy to read that they feel the EVF is en par with Olympus's EVF!

This preview definitely continuing to fuel my fire. Although I have not owned the Panasonic GF1, I can relate to their comparisons with the Leica X1. It's all sounding quite positive and much more real to me now. ;)

Only two issues I see if DPR's review is correct --

one is the Fn button can either start recording movies or set ISO. They'll need to allow other buttons (like the RAW button) to handle one of these. Both of those things are too common to have assignable to only one button.

the other is that it sees to save aperture is adjustable in full stops only?? I would think adjustments in at least 1/2 stops would be better.

Other than that, it's a super looking camera. It'll be interesting to see actual test shots.

I'm betting there are going to be some changes and improvements when it comes to things like programing those buttons. Firming up the firmware before the big market unveiling will be key, I'm sure. Apparently there were quite a few of these prototypes out and about in various people's hands, so I'm sure we'll see a more finished product - maybe by mid March or so. Fingers continue to be crossed!

very nice, I have always liked the idea of a real aperture ring on the lens in whole stops. I know that is a disappointment to some but there is also an "A" position which will offer full electronic controls in partial stops via a menu on the LCD or full auto aperture also via a menu. The idea of having it on the lens is so that you can set it, turn the camera off and without turning it on again knowing what f/stop you have it set for or change f/stops without the camera being on. To quickly grab shots on the fly

I remember reading that when it was first announced in the fall on one of the review sites

Isn't the 'A' button just for auto aperture?

Personally, I'd still like 1/2 stops. Don't need 1/3. Just 1/2. Do love it on the lens though.

Personally, I'd still like 1/2 stops. Don't need 1/3. Just 1/2. Do love it on the lens though.

I fully agree. 1/2 stops are a must. It's laziness to just have full stops. Something like that raises a flag to me. If they can't see the importance of 1/2 stops, what else can't they see?

I wish I could find the link now, but I remember discussion on this exact topic on one of the street photography forums I visit back when this was announced, that provided a link to a review and interview with someone from fuji from Photokina. What Fuji said then was that there are full stop aperture settings on the lens ring but if you turned the knob to "a" it puts it in aperture mode which can be selected via the LCD panel. This mode would allow for setting the aperture in partial stops, or full auto if you want. The same goes for shutter speeds.

There was also talk about the ring being marked in full stops but allowing it to be positioned half way or in 1/3 between the stops. Much like on a zoom lens that might have markings for 50mm and 75mm but would allow you to set it at say 62mm.

Of course since this is still all in flux this may not make it into production but I can't see Fuji not allowing 1/3 or half stop adjustments. Remember the Aperture is still electronically controlled it is not mechanical so this would be a simple firmware function, and there is still a large LCD on the back

I'm OK with full stop marks, but a video I saw after the DPR article came out, clearly showed clicks only at full stops, which is a problem, IMO.

I'm OK with full stop marks, but a video I saw after the DPR article came out, clearly showed clicks only at full stops, which is a problem, IMO.

of course it clicks at full stop marks, I have no issue with full stops on the lens ring and would want locking clicks that way I would not have to worry about it slipping out of the f/stop that I wanted. They are simply trying to copy the look and feel of classic manual lenses like found on Leica M and vintage film cameras, but if you want others you can get to it via a menu on the LCD like any other fixed lens digital camera. It is the best of both worlds really.

This is just one of many issues that this camera will face. A lot of people will be happy with full stops, as they feel that is all that is really needed, and it keeps the interface clean on the lens ring, others want half f/stops and if fuji did that just as many people would complain it was a waste and clutters up the camera, a camera by the way that is every bit about how it looks as to the pictures it takes. Yet others will want 1/3 stops. No matter what people will not be happy.

The mistake that Fuji is making is that they are hyping this thing up so much that there is no way it can live up to the hype

Back