Fuji Fuji Fujinon XF 23mm f/1.4 - MSRP???

drewbot

Regular
The title says it all.

What do y'all think?

I'm praying it's not Zeiss 24 1.8 territory.

I really miss being able to shoot wide AND shallow...

At least the same as the 14mm - I'd guess in the $1000 range. Seeing as it offers the 35mm equiv FOV, pricewise that would place it in the middle of the AF 35mm f1.4 lenses (Canon, Nikon, Sigma).

I'm going to hazard a guess that it will be around the $600 mark similar to the existing XF lenses, I don't see any reason why it should be 1k and above, it's pretty much going to be a similar build with the existing XF lenses only with a different focal length. I'm guessing the Zeiss 24 1.8 is really dear because it's marked "Zeiss".

I'm thinking it'll be at least $900 - it looks like a tank which means its probably at least as well optically corrected as the 14mm. And at f1.4, I think we're looking at a pretty pricey lens. But I read the subtext of this thread as "will it really cost that much more to just buy an X100s instead"? My gut tells me it won't cost much less than the X100s, so if you'd rather have another camera than another lens, seems like a reasonable approach.

-Ray

As someone who has used the Nex-Sony-Zeiss 24mm f1.8 lens; it's a very expensive lens. It's not any better than the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 or the new Canon M 22mm f2. The Zeiss 24mm f1.8 has less distortion but it's rather soft (even in the center) wide open. Not sure where this puts the 23mm 1.4 in pricing, but I'm with Phoenix, I think it will be about the same as the other primes besides the 14mm.

I'm thinking it'll be at least $900 - it looks like a tank which means its probably at least as well optically corrected as the 14mm. And at f1.4, I think we're looking at a pretty pricey lens. But I read the subtext of this thread as "will it really cost that much more to just buy an X100s instead"? My gut tells me it won't cost much less than the X100s, so if you'd rather have another camera than another lens, seems like a reasonable approach.

-Ray

My thoughts exactly.

You lose a stop and probably critical sharpness, but you get a camera body to go with it...

My thoughts exactly.

You lose a stop and probably critical sharpness, but you get a camera body to go with it...

I think that stop is going to make all the difference for some people, though. As a portrait shooter, who loves the 35mm FOV for shallow DOF environmental portraits I would anticipate that the 23mm f1.4 will be a different beast that the 23mm f2 assuming that its sharp in the center wide open. That said, I decided to go with the X100S since I still have my 5DII. Should I decide to replace the Canon with the X-Pro 2 at some point (assuming its basically an interchangeable lens X100S) I'd probably still get the 23mm f1.4 in additional to keeping the X100S. If the intended use is for street, landscape or general shooting however, I agree that the X100S makes more sense assuming the prices are within a couple hundred dollars of each other.

There's a 23 coming? WHEN?!? :rolleyes:
well the x100s will cost me 1299 so half that should be fair market price... but you know it's not gonna happen.

Back