Film Fuji GA645Zi

Bobitybob

All-Pro
Name
Bob
Posted previously about my GS645S, but unfortunatley this died and cannot be resurrected so got this via eBay for a good price :yahoo:

FUJI GA645Zi-1000004.jpg

FUJI GA645Zi-1000072.jpg

FUJI GA645Zi-1000044.jpg

FUJI GA645Zi-1000073.jpg

FUJI GA645Zi-1000078.jpg

Nice images! I find these cameras very appealing, also for being very easy to carry on any ordinary bag. The "Z" was not on my list, but looking at your pictures I don't see any reason for it not to be an option (and normally they are cheaper...).

Thank you for your kind comment.

I was a little unsure about getting this version of Fuji's rangefinder medium format cameras due to the autofocus, but I have to say its a breeze to use and so far has not let me down. You do have to be careful of where the system picks the point of focus but conveniently it gives a distance to the subject so I just check that it's where I want it to be and not on infinity. If you are considering getting one just be careful as they do have problems with the LCD on the back cover fading out and eventually not working, but so far mine has been OK.

Lovely photos.

I had the "Zi" briefly and enjoyed using it. However, due to a shortage of funds and a desire to obtain some other camera (can't recall what), I traded it - which I regretted since.

Strictly speaking it's not a true zoom as the lens has 3 or 4 focal lengths rather than an infinite option to zoom to any point in its range. Nevertheless, I really liked it and its "my first camera" size and looks didn't seem to intimidate anyone I pointed it at.

If you're interested, you can see some photos I took around Andalucía on my website www.pauljenkin.com

I'm seriously thinking about getting another one........

Very nice inages Paul, thanks for the link.

You'r right about the zoom it's 55, 65. 75 and 90 but that dosn't seem to be a problem, and I tend to use mine mostly at the 55mm setting. I rearly wanted a later black one but they are very hard to get hold of in the UK and a lot more expensive, still I'm happy with the one I have and look forward to using it more over the coming months.

Just looked at your pictures taken with the GA645zi, gorgeous images!! I am have toying with the idea of getting one of these, as it seems to be the perfect MF point/shoot. I have been hesitant because I am not too sure about the default portrait mode the camera is locked into, but I think your pictures have convinced me otherwise :). My favourite is the reflection of the Alhambra in a pool with lilly pads, it's beautifully shot and portra400 colour is so amazing!

This is such a lovely camera, but my LCD screen is not working properly so I can't choose the ISO for the film. Annoying! I will have to get it repaired, if it can be repaired.

This is such a lovely camera, but my LCD screen is not working properly so I can't choose the ISO for the film. Annoying! I will have to get it repaired, if it can be repaired.

Somewhere in the manual it says that if the film is bar-coded, the camera will read and set the ISO automatically.

Unfortunately mine has also now failed, luckily I make a note of film types, ISO etc so I know it's set on 320. I should be able to workout how many turns of the dial I need to change it for other speeds as it goes a third of a stop at a time. I did a quick check in the UK, and couldn't find anyone who could repair the fault as it's apparently due to the ribbon cable at the hinge and parts are no longer available.

If you do find anyone please post as I would like to get it fixed if possible. With regard to the auto ISO I'm not sure, but I think that only works with Fuji made films.

In the mean time a couple from mine ...

FUJI GA645Zi-1000316.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FUJI GA645Zi-1000331.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lomography Color 400

These are lovely!

I will let you know if I can find a repair place. I have seen old calculators repaired by using light heat to glue down the ribbon contacts, which I understand is one of the reasons why the LCD gets messed up but I can't even see where the ribbon is. You are right, I suppose we can work with turns of the dial but I would rather have it mended. Such a shame. Yes, I think only Fuji has the barcode or whatever that is called to read the ISO automatically.

Back