Fuji GFX 50R is $3500

Imagine a Fuji box-cam with interchangeable screens (EVF or flip screen) and maybe an attachable grip. It could be like an old school MF with a waist level finder. Or like the new Hasselblad 907c. I hadn’t though about it, but it wouldn’t need the fastest AF. This is no action or BIF cam. I think it would need AF fast enough for street work.

It’s still a Fuji. Not the clinical excellence of Sony. All the “character”, JPEGS, and film simulations. I can see this as a straight enthusiast camera that some pros might be able to use as a basic tool.

Imagine a Fuji box-cam with interchangeable screens (EVF or flip screen) and maybe an attachable grip. It could be like an old school MF with a waist level finder. Or like the new Hasselblad 907c. I hadn’t though about it, but it wouldn’t need the fastest AF. This is no action or BIF cam. I think it would need AF fast enough for street work.

It’s still a Fuji. Not the clinical excellence of Sony. All the “character”, JPEGS, and film simulations. I can see this as a straight enthusiast camera that some pros might be able to use as a basic tool.
I used to have a Yashica Mat in the 1970's. TLR. Maybe something like that?

If a brand-new Yahsica Mat cost $400 in 1975 (and I'm not sure they were that expensive) it would be $1955.49 today. But that's with crank wind and no sensor... just film.

On the other hand... I remember B&H had a few medium-format film Fujis (maybe the GF670?) for sale about 10 years ago for about $600.

I was thinking about a Hasselblad C500 or the digital 907c, which I admit I find quite elegant:
1615857550969.jpeg

What I don’t know is the cost of Fuji sensor, or if Fuji would low ball the body in hopes of selling lenses. Once the photographer has a kit, the more expensive bodies might be tempting since they already have the lenses.

I was thinking about a Hasselblad C500 or the digital 907c, which I admit I find quite elegant:

What I don’t know is the cost of Fuji sensor, or if Fuji would low ball the body in hopes of selling lenses. Once the photographer has a kit, the more expensive bodies might be tempting since they already have the lenses.
Both has same Sony sensor... Hasselblad jpg colors are very good from comparisons that I saw... The original X1d can be found as low as $2500. Here is $2859 at mpb:
Used Hasselblad X1D-50c

From a Fuji shooter: Best "budget" medium format: FUJI GFX 50r or the Hasselblad X1D II 50c?

Last edited:
The x1D is the sexy one though surely. Not much chance of that dropping in price alas. I can imagine the native lenses would be quite supreme. I mean, it’s Hasselblad right? Quite funny, you get a few H users on the Leica forum, a bit like the Leica owners in popping up on the m43 forum peacocking.

Last edited:
As it stands, it looks like the GFX 50 R is the camera with the best specced EVF viewfinder if you want a RF-style viewfinder. The optics in it may be crap of course, the spec sheets can't reveal that information.

Code:
| Camera        | Sz   | MPix |  Mag | Tech |
|---------------+------+------+------+------|
| Fuji GFX      | MF   | 3.69 | 0.77 | OLED |
| Fuji X-Pro3   | APSC | 3.69 | 0.66 | OLED |
| Panasonic GX8 | M4/3 | 2.36 | 0.77 | OLED |
| Fuji X-E3     | APSC | 2.36 | 0.62 |      |
| Sony A7C      | FF   | 2.36 | 0.59 |      |
| Leica CL      | APSC | 2.36 | 0.74 |      |

I keep thinking how the camera really only lacks the IBIS of the 100MP models.

But at the same time, 50S is a big chunk of camera, not designed for handheld shooting in the first place. So what exact utility would the IBIS be then? 50R instead could use one right away, no?

Back to topic,
I remember/have a vivid impression that in 2018 most early reviews of 50R were lukewarm or even slightly negative, especially ergonomics. But these days when I browse Youtube video reviews about 50R they are all mostly praise. Yet another case of "don't trust the early reviews nor the late ones either" or something else?

Back