Fuji Introduces New X20 - Adds New Sensor and Fast Autofocus

Don, thanks very much for the cogent explanation, and congratulations on your commission! It's easy to forget that the challenges of printing go so far beyond what's involved in creating a pleasing image on a monitor...

p.s. Your old GF1 lives on, although it's on hiatus at the moment.. :)

Chuck,
The GRD4 produces some of the best jpegs any camera ever did. The DNG file converted blows the camera jpeg away and that is saying something.
Hi StreetShooter, did you try converting the X10 .RAF files to DNG format? I know Aperture won't read the RAFs but it plays quite happily with the converted DNGs. Can't speak for LR4 or any other raw processor...

Hi StreetShooter, did you try converting the X10 .RAF files to DNG format? I know Aperture won't read the RAFs but it plays quite happily with the converted DNGs. Can't speak for LR4 or any other raw processor...

Martin, Yes every RAW file is converted to DNG. Unfortunately that's not the issue. Adobe says that there is support for the Fuji RAF files but it's far from complete.

How do the Converted Aperture files compare to the OOC jpegs?
don

Martin, Yes every RAW file is converted to DNG. Unfortunately that's not the issue. Adobe says that there is support for the Fuji RAF files but it's far from complete.

How do the Converted Aperture files compare to the OOC jpegs?
don
Actually Don when I look in detail they have some problems. They tend to come out rather dark and very noisy, and the image dimensions are shrunk - eg a 3000x2000 JPEG becomes 2800x1800 or thereabouts in the RAF->DNG->Aperture process. This is only from samples off Home | PhotographyBLOG but I've looked at a few of them now and all have the same issues. So I guess either the conversion is not very good or Aperture doesn't handle the files very well after all.

Couple of new retailers advertising the X20 now - £422 cheapest (here). If only we could see some more sample images...with stock arriving in the shops in the next few weeks surely a review site must be able to get hold of a camera to test?

Back