Fuji Introduces New X20 - Adds New Sensor and Fast Autofocus

The X20 looks like the perfect choice for me. I'm strongly drawn to the X10 but the lack of info in the viewfinder is putting me off. The price of the X20 will be interesting...I guess it will be around £400-£450 in the UK, compared to £300 as the current going rate for the X10. If the the X100s announcement means that the X100 drops in price (and it's available for £530 now) then it could be hard decision between that and the X20.

I'm estimating £539 for the X20 initially but I also expect the price to drop pretty quickly. Once the price starts dropping it will keep going just like the X10 did. If you can wait a couple months after release it 'should' be at a reasonable price. THis camera could compliment my X-Pro1 nicely!

I'm estimating £539 for the X20 initially but I also expect the price to drop pretty quickly. Once the price starts dropping it will keep going just like the X10 did. If you can wait a couple months after release it 'should' be at a reasonable price. THis camera could compliment my X-Pro1 nicely!
My bet would be £499 (I've seen it mentioned at that price somewhere already), with £999 for the X100s. Hopefully that will be discounted a little bit by people like Park Cameras from the launch.

Never mind, according to Fuji's website, there's face detection! Woohoo!!!

It wasn't so many years ago that I thought face detection was a gimmick. Now I'm frustrated by cameras that don't have it. For example, if I point my Oly E-PM2 at someone, I know it's gonna identify their face and lock focus on the nearer eye. If I point the Nikon D600 at someone and casually place an AF point on their face, I often get nose focus or worse.

It wasn't so many years ago that I thought face detection was a gimmick. Now I'm frustrated by cameras that don't have it. For example, if I point my Oly E-PM2 at someone, I know it's gonna identify their face and lock focus on the nearer eye. If I point the Nikon D600 at someone and casually place an AF point on their face, I often get nose focus or worse.

My thoughts exactly. Also very helpful when asking someone else to take a photo who is not familiar with focus and recompose, or moving AF point. Also helpful when using a remote shutter release that includes me in the photo!

For the newest CDAF cameras, there's really no reason not to have face detection. But for whatever reason, none of the Fuji X APS-C cameras have it. Everyone else does.

Amin, did you discard the OMD for the EPM2?

Kind of funny - when I'm shooting with the OMD with the 45 or 75mm lenses, I'm thrilled to have it and it works amazingly well, nailing focus pretty much every time without any delay in the AF system. But when I shoot with the X-Pro I don't miss it. Maybe because I'm not shooting focal lengths where I'm doing head and shoulder's portraits, but the way I use the 18 and 35mm lenses, either the shot is in focus or its not and if the person in the shot is in focus, the face and eyes are in good enough focus just by proximity. The X10 has it, but I found it missed often enough that I stopped using it. So, yeah, a really good and fast face detection system can be really nice, particularly with longer lenses. But I'm OK without it too...

I guess my LX7 has it but I've never turned it on or even tried it. And I've been shooting mostly with that camera lately any time I'n not specifically looking for low light performance. Its not bad in low light but my other gear is better. In anything else, though, SOOOOOO much fun with that camera!

-Ray

Armando, we didn't know you were a math whiz in addition to all you other talents!

Thanks Chuck. I must confess I'm far from being a math wiz. I got kicked out of high school calculus class on my senior year. They said I needed to maintain a B average to stay in the honors class. I had a D. Spent the second semester working in the office!

From what I understand LR4 will still not be able to process the RAW files. I do have C1 but that's not the way it should be to process with this camera. I have returned and given up on the X10 which is a fine camera but without RAW support......bye...
It shall be interesting once again when the camera is released and many users seek RAW support.

Hopefully this can be resolved as the X10 is a heck of a camera and the X20 looks like a fine upgrade....

From what I understand LR4 will still not be able to process the RAW files. I do have C1 but that's not the way it should be to process with this camera. I have returned and given up on the X10 which is a fine camera but without RAW support......bye...
It shall be interesting once again when the camera is released and many users seek RAW support.

Hopefully this can be resolved as the X10 is a heck of a camera and the X20 looks like a fine upgrade....

Don, a question for you: what do you feel you were giving up in not having usable RAW files with the X10? The images you posted from the camera were excellent and seemed to the untrained eye to be every bit as good as your GRD4 work. It would seem that the genre and processing style you excel at would not be highly sensitive to the RAW vs. JPEG choice. White balance and highlight recovery wouldn't seem to be major issues, for instance.

Just curious - and in learning mode! Thanks for your insights.

Don, a question for you: what do you feel you were giving up in not having usable RAW files with the X10? The images you posted from the camera were excellent and seemed to the untrained eye to be every bit as good as your GRD4 work. It would seem that the genre and processing style you excel at would not be highly sensitive to the RAW vs. JPEG choice. White balance and highlight recovery wouldn't seem to be major issues, for instance.

Just curious - and in learning mode! Thanks for your insights.

Chuck,
Regardless of what anybody may say, a raw file processed to output a jpeg should be better than a camera produced file. This is not the case with the X10. Even using C1 which does a great job.... the camera jpeg was better.

So that's ok for me because I kill the dynamic range anyway but only because I can. The GRD4 produces some of the best jpegs any camera ever did. The DNG file converted blows the camera jpeg away and that is saying something.

The X10 produces great files and they even print well up to around 11 x 14 image size....round that off to your aspect ratio. The GRD4 jpegs are about the same but the DNG does 16 x 20 easily.

If I only ever needed screen images I'd be in good shape with the X10 and many other cameras. Unfortunately I need to be able to have prints made for exhibition purposes and those collectors that still buy my stuff even tho' it's digital.
I got a commission to do a large series of Public Transportation photos. In order to get the award I had to submit files that they made huge prints from.....The grain looked like golf balls but they would be very large prints and seen from a distance. I was amazed that the prints looked so good from small cameras. I would have thought my 8 x 10 Deardorff would be needed.

The X10 didn't cut it because the resolution failed in both 6 and 12 MP. Remember, I started with jpeg files. The RX100, GRD4, M8, GF1 files made the cut easily.... I attribute that to being able to start with a raw file and give them large Tiff files.....

Roger, my Nam brother had the X10 picked up today by UPS and will send me the X20 on release or before....
I'll just shoot with it and not worry about printing...I love the X10 and hopefully the X20 will rise to the occasion. The X10 is an amazing little camera and for the street it's hard to beat. I'm hoping the X20 Raw files get better support.

Chuck...if you have LR let me know....I made some presets for myself, NOT FOR SALE! I'll be glad to give them to you..they bring life to the EXR sensor like crazy......

Back