Fuji { Fuji Is The New Leica } | Things.That.Make.You.Go.Hmmm.

I mean, it's just pointless to compare products that are 9 grand apart in price. Wonder what an X-Pro would be like if Fuji was in THAT price range ?

I could not imagine walking around casually taking snaps with something that expensive, unless I had the 92 Beretta in a hideout holster !

True...I see your point on why it would be pointless to compare...no pun intended. ;) And you are right, I'd also probably have more than my camera to shoot with.:D

Disclosure: I use Leica gear exclusively and have no experience with the Fuji X series cameras.

I do not think Zack or David are asserting that the X100s is literally a Leica/Leica clone (ones a rangefinder, the other is not; one is full frame, the other is not), but rather that the X100s embodies the Leica spirit better than the new Leica M. The X100s has the classic 35mm focal length that was favored heavily by the old masters that helped establish the Leica M series. The X100s is a simple, straight forward camera coupled with an excellent lens that yields gorgeous photographs.

You are right, Nic. I think both Zack and The Strobist were "paid" to be at the X100S launch event in Middle East. But I think - for Zack, anyways - he would have said what he said regardless of whether he is being paid or not. Nonetheless, it's great advertising like you mentioned...and just another reason, I suppose, to respect Fuji as a great company and their marketing genius. B-)

I think you are right, regardless of being there in a paid capacity- Zack is a straight shooter, He doesn't strike me as one to say something he doesn't believe.

A friend of mine is ex- special forces; he hefted my camera one day and commented about its' potential usefulness in, as he put it "settling an argument". He went on to show me how he would hold it and wield it in order to break an assailant's concentration - and nose.

I must make a video of it someday; self defence for photographers...
So how would you explain it, "I Leica whipped that poor SOB"! But a Fuji could never pull that off, so I guess it's not the new Leica after all.

-Ray

Disclosure: I use Leica gear exclusively and have no experience with the Fuji X series cameras.

I do not think Zack or David are asserting that the X100s is literally a Leica/Leica clone (ones a rangefinder, the other is not; one is full frame, the other is not), but rather that the X100s embodies the Leica spirit better than the new Leica M. The X100s has the classic 35mm focal length that was favored heavily by the old masters that helped establish the Leica M series. The X100s is a simple, straight forward camera coupled with an excellent lens that yields gorgeous photographs.

Well said. I would love to shoot Leica but just can't afford it. Maybe one day.

Well said. I would love to shoot Leica but just can't afford it. Maybe one day.

Steve, you can rent one for reasonable prices. I recommend that you do. You may find it not to your liking, and than wont have to worry about that one day:). You can also try one of the many Russian Leica clones available on the bug auction site, but they'll be film not digital. They would give you the rangefinder experience (and incidentally how I started my photography).

Spot on! Thanks for stopping by, CaptZoom. I love the fact that you are an exclusive Leica gear and yet you are on this forum...I can't help but wonder on the "nod" that Zack mentioned in his review:

"...everyone but Leica avoids making eye contact with him. Leica turns on his bar stool and gracefully nods his head to Fuji. Fuji, knowing he’s in good company at the bar, fires a grin and a wink at the old man. Leica sees himself as a younger man in this Fuji kid."

Spot on! Thanks for stopping by, CaptZoom. I love the fact that you are an exclusive Leica gear and yet you are on this forum...I can't help but wonder on the "nod" that Zack mentioned in his review:

"...everyone but Leica avoids making eye contact with him. Leica turns on his bar stool and gracefully nods his head to Fuji. Fuji, knowing he’s in good company at the bar, fires a grin and a wink at the old man. Leica sees himself as a younger man in this Fuji kid."

Ha...that's ^ funny.
Well...I'm trying to find reasons not to buy the X100...so far, I'm coming up short:)

I really don't need another camera, but this one is so intriguing. If only Fuji would release a full frame camera with a sensor calibrated for rangefinder lenses while maintaining the interface design/ergonomics of the X100 series. I'm not a Leica fanatic (though I do love their lenses). Leica is the only company making camera bodies that are in line with my favored method of shooting: OVF (w the ability to see outside of the frame), dedicated shutter dial, and compact. It really seems Fuji is in similar territory, but not quite there yet.

Ha...that's ^ funny.
Well...I'm trying to find reasons not to buy the X100...so far, I'm coming up short:)

I thought it was the best gear review that I have ever read. Quite creative.

Leica is the only company making camera bodies that are in line with my favored method of shooting: OVF (w the ability to see outside of the frame), dedicated shutter dial, and compact. It really seems Fuji is in similar territory, but not quite there yet.

I think you were spot on about Zack's point of view when he said that "Fuji is the new Leica." You wrote:

...the X100s embodies the Leica spirit better than the new Leica M. The X100s has the classic 35mm focal length that was favored heavily by the old masters that helped establish the Leica M series. The X100s is a simple, straight forward camera coupled with an excellent lens that yields gorgeous photographs.

Great insight. Thanks again. I got my S yesterday and have been carrying it around since last night...and Fuji definitely delivered on the X100s. So if you are in need of a less expensive gear to tote around that embodies the Leica spirit, you should definitely get it.

Cheers from the Bay,
{h}

The saga continues...

From Zack's blog on his X100S Review:

"ETA – 3/26 – I don’t think I got my point across clearly enough about Fuji being the new Leica. I’m going to be making a follow up blog post about that next week to spell out my opinion on the matter."

I'm getting blasted on another forum for mentioning Leica bamboozling the launch of the new M and for Fuji making great strides towards the rangefinder market! It's becoming easier to see why us Leica users are seen as snobby a******s!

I thought it was the best gear review that I have ever read. Quite creative.
I haven't yet read the whole review!
I think you were spot on about Zack's point of view when he said that "Fuji is the new Leica." You wrote: [blah...blah...blah....]
Thank you. Like my paraphrasing of my statements;)
Great insight. Thanks again. I got my S yesterday and have been carrying it around since last night...and Fuji definitely delivered on the X100s.
I haven't gotten a new camera and lenses in three years. I've forgotten the excitement! Congratulations.

So if you are in need of a less expensive gear to tote around that embodies the Leica spirit, you should definitely get it.

Cheers from the Bay,
{h}
Actually, I don't worry about how expensive my gear is, and no I am not well off by any stretch. In fact because I paid so much, I want to use the gear as much and as often as I can. In any case, I dunno what it is about the X100 series that appeals to me so much (I've no desire whatsoever for the X-Pro and X-E series). I think some of my pennies are gonna start going to a new savings account for the X100s. And bravo to Fuji for getting the camera in consumers hands so quickly.

I'm getting blasted on another forum for mentioning Leica bamboozling the launch of the new M and for Fuji making great strides towards the rangefinder market! It's becoming easier to see why us Leica users are seen as snobby a******s!

Sorry to hear that, CaptZoom. I guess in the end what matters is how the photographer uses the tool that he/she ends up using to express his/her creative vision...what gear preference he/she chooses to use becomes less relevant - regardless of how much it costs. I ran into someone on a photo walk in San Francisco the other day who swore by her Diana. And I totally respected her for her insight. Have a great weekend!

Back