Fuji Fuji killing the 33mm f1

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
What me be the literal elephant in the room, after looking at the comparison photo. The 33mm is being scrapped in favor of going with a 50mm f1. The reason is due to the size. The 33mm had to be huge in order to have the corner to corner sharpness which would be demanded of it. We're talking a 33mm lens so big it has a tripod collar/leg. To cut significant size and weight, Fuji is moving to a 50mm f1. Which will still be a big prime. But not the behemoth the 33mm f1 would be.

Fuji is also coming out with a new lens roadmap for 2020 with 5-6 new lenses. Some X and some GFX.

I'm with Luke on this one. With the X-Pro3 and the 16-80mm f/4 in the wings, this is the first time in years I'm seriously considering buying into the system (possibly replacing both my "compact" mirrorless systems, :mu43: and Sony (F)E). I'd certainly not do it for big hulking lenses of the kind discussed here. But a 35mm f/1.4 WR would really be nice and another reason for me to consider Fuji - though I have to say that the 35mm f/2 WR *is* a very compelling lens in its own right, so there's probably not a lot of incentive for Fuji to start refresing their existing line-up.

M.

I welcome a wider portrait lens, 50/1 would be nicer than 56/1.2.

But then again it starts to make no sense as I think more about it. The FLs are close together, the difference in aperture not great. Fuji probably had to try save face with a move like this and not scrap the project altogether.

Every so often a company has to let their engineers take on a challenge because that's what engineers like. It becomes more of a show piece for the company than "just a product". The Nikon S3-2000 and SP-2005 where Nikon's entry, the Pentax LX for Pentax, the 50/2 APO for Leica, the list goes on.

The 33/1.0- that looks insane, and the engineers would have done better to sacrifice some performance for size and weight. BUT- it was an all-out performance at any cost kind of lens. The 50/1.0 at least has a shot at selling, and puts Fuji up against the fastest offerings of other companies.

I wonder ho they think will buy the 50mm f1.0 when there is already the 56mm f1.2?
If it's weather sealed and has lightening fast AF like the rest of the newer primes. Me, and many others. This announcement is the one which has my interest the most. Slightly wider with the same amount of background blur as the 56 when needed with weather sealing is very appealing to me. I've been mulling over getting a 50 f2 for the weather sealing and better AF when I need it.

If they really want a successful new lens, they just need to re-make the 35mm f1.4 with WR and faster AF

If I am remembering correctly. Fuji has said in the past that the 35mm 1.4 was made the way it is intentionally. To be 1.4, have it's characteristics in rendering, keep it smallish, and be sharp. It had to have the slower af motor. And that making a new, faster af version was what led to the 33 f1. But, Fuji could easily make it weather sealed as a version 2 without changing anything else.

I don't doubt Fuji can make excellent lenses but in the end physics do apply, you sacrifice more for less in return, I guess it does make sense to have one, or even two F1 lenses for aps-c system for those who can't justify going FF just for one or two lenses, but any more than that you'd be better off going FF than maxing out on aps-c.

If it's weather sealed and has lightening fast AF like the rest of the newer primes. Me, and many others. This announcement is the one which has my interest the most. Slightly wider with the same amount of background blur as the 56 when needed with weather sealing is very appealing to me. I've been mulling over getting a 50 f2 for the weather sealing and better AF when I need it.

Well, I guess price may play a role....what if it's $2,000 ?

Price will definitely play a role. If I decide that the lens is something I will want. I'll have to either save or hunt one down when they hit the used market.

Back