Fuji Fuji "major" firmware updates...

Installed the V2 on our XT 4 without any trouble.
Mainly did it to be able to use the new app. [which I'm a little underwhelmed by after first look]
Andy, what is the AF-S focusing bug?
I've never noticed any problems with the 10-24

Installed the V2 on our XT 4 without any trouble.
Mainly did it to be able to use the new app. [which I'm a little underwhelmed by after first look]
Andy, what is the AF-S focusing bug?
I've never noticed any problems with the 10-24
Plenty of reading here... follow Mike Nielk's posts.

In as few words as possible, using wide angle lenses @ f5.6 or smaller, AF-S is very inconsistent and produces noticeably OOF images.
You can see this by turning on the focus distance scale and repeatedly pressing AF-On or half pressing shutter (whichever you use for focusing).
Even with slight cropping you will see the inconsistent accuracy plainly. The work around is to use MF with AF-ON, which is still mediocre at best.
This appears to affect all models, particularly newer ones. My X-T5 and X-E4 both suffer even with latest firmware.
Many have reported this issue to Fuji, but none have heard anything definite from them. :(

Last edited:
Hmm, never noticed the AF-S bug with the 10-24. I generally use zone focusing there instead of single point, but maybe I'm not paying attention. I did successfully upgrade the X-T3 to v5.0 the other day. No noticeable changes that I can see. Tried the app. I doubt I'll use it much, though the GPS tagging might come in handy sometime.

Just checked for this AF bug on my X100V and it is certainly affected. Quote from my dpreview post:

----------
Checked this on my X100V with the latest firmware V3.00. AF-C, single point, subject (book case) at about 5m, 10 shots at each aperture from f/4 through f/16. Camera on tripod.

At f/4 and f/5.6 focus seems fairly reliable, only small variations around optimal focus. At f/8 focus is starting to become unreliable, at least 3 shots are too unsharp to my taste. At f/11 and f/16 the focus scale was jumping around like crazy, anywhere between 2m and infinity and hardly any picture was adequately sharp. Ugh.

At least it's good to know that I have to avoid apertures smaller than f/5.6 for my street photography and I understand now why I had to resort to MF for static shots at f/8.

This is my first Fuji camera besides my Sony system around the A7R4 and the experience has been less than stellar when it comes to image quality. I suspect this is largely due to this focus problem. Might be the last Fuji camera too.
----------

Last edited:
Ad, I think in your case the problem might be more related to AF-C? Have you tried the same using AF-S? I am surprised the X100V is affected by this, since the lens is everything but ultra-wide angle at 23mm and I haven't noticed that behaviour on my X100V for the ~18 months I owned it.

Having said that I sometimes encountered focusing issues with my X-Pro3 using a variety of lenses, but they seemed to be more common with the 23 f2, however I never was sure whether that was user error or some weird issue with the body and lens combo. I have noticed those discussions on DPR and these AF topics come up every now and then, often resulting in more or less unfriendly comments by some users.

Ad, I think in your case the problem might be more related to AF-C? Have you tried the same using AF-S? I am surprised the X100V is affected by this, since the lens is everything but ultra-wide angle at 23mm and I haven't noticed that behaviour on my X100V for the ~18 months I owned it.

Having said that I sometimes encountered focusing issues with my X-Pro3 using a variety of lenses, but they seemed to be more common with the 23 f2, however I never was sure whether that was user error or some weird issue with the body and lens combo. I have noticed those discussions on DPR and these AF topics come up every now and then, often resulting in more or less unfriendly comments by some users.
Yes, AF-S is even worse in my experience. I noticed this almost immediately after I got the camera and quickly decided to stick to AF-C or MF. I only use AF-S in combination with AF+MF and fine-tune focus manually that way.

You should know that I'm an avid pixel-peeper and I find that I need all the sharpness I can get for cropping on street photos. A few days ago my wife asked how I liked the camera and I said: "Errrrm... I don't know. It's quite a step back from my Sony cameras in terms of sharpness. I'm not sure if I think it's good enough, even though it is so nicely light, small and unobtrusive."

Back