Fuji Fuji New Rangefinder form!

Thoughtful observations. I certainly can relate to the tactile feel side of things and the hardwired brain. I suppose having different kinds of cameras could be said to stave off dementia. Perhaps that will be just one more reason I'll probably find a way to buy a new Fuji down the line.

Streetshooter,

Thanks for your reply and I certainly agree that you point out something special and somewhat historic about the X100, but I think we could refine the wording to really express what it is that we appreciate so much. I have no doubt that any of the leading manufacturers would honestly claim to have taken "user wants/needs" into consideration in designing cameras. This is called market research, and it has given us megapixel fetishism, super-automation and related ills, since the "users" listened to are those correlated with maximum sales. In the case of Fuji, what's different is that they seem to have listened to a minority of users--and perhaps some non-users still holding out--who have perhaps a contrarian notion about technology in relation to technique. We, this segment of "users" who feel heard and appreciated by Fuji, what should we call ourselves? Purists? Fundamentalists? Throw-backs? Traditionalists? La Resistance Technologique? Humanists? Geezers (young and old)? Visionaries? Liberationists? I'm sure we do not comprise a uniform bloc, and would appreciate yours and other readers' suggestions!

Miserere,

Thanks for your thoughtful and informative reply. A focus ring with an option for direction of rotation had not occurred to me, but I certainly agree with you about the sensual aspect of adjusting a fine helicoid and how focusing by that means engages our physical being as well as our mental faculties. Perhaps it is the quality of the camera as a tool--an extension of the body--that we regret losing, the general trend in digicams being to provides us a robotic assistant or co-photographer.

Eric

... In the case of Fuji, what's different is that they seem to have listened to a minority of users--and perhaps some non-users still holding out--who have perhaps a contrarian notion about technology in relation to technique. We, this segment of "users" who feel heard and appreciated by Fuji, what should we call ourselves? Purists? Fundamentalists? Throw-backs? Traditionalists? La Resistance Technologique? Humanists? Geezers (young and old)? Visionaries? Liberationists? I'm sure we do not comprise a uniform bloc, and would appreciate yours and other readers' suggestions!

Eric, good question. Although I laughed at "Geezers (young and old)", I'm guessing that won't win the popularity contest. :D However, I think you're correct about not comprising a uniform bloc of vast proportions...even though in my little microcosm world, it feels vast.

Have you all taken a look at Fuji's website lately: Design and Control | FUJIFILM FinePix X100 It is looking pretty good with some very nice descriptions. Their marketing folks have done a beautiful job on this - from the graphics and information along with the added "stay informed" and "first impressions". Very smart. Very good looking and certainly very much of a "camera love" provoker. View attachment 29704

Makes me want to go buy a Leica X1. I'm hoping some people bail on them so I can get one at a good price. ;)

It is a nice looking camera, but it just doesn't sing to me. I'm glad other people find it charming, though.

Makes me want to go buy a Leica X1. I'm hoping some people bail on them so I can get one at a good price. ;)

It is a nice looking camera, but it just doesn't sing to me. I'm glad other people find it charming, though.
Deidre, I'll keep you in mind.;)

Glad you enjoyed your reading, intense. Me, too.:D

Very Leica M2 / M3... the design will pull at the heartstrings of all purist Leica enthusiasts, as it is quite a while since the first digital Leicas came on to the market, and it was with Fuji that the first partnership was launched (now its partnership is Panasonic).

If I had not just bought the Lumix LX5.... this would have pushed all my buttons.... and in fact still does !!! (my wife will kill me if I take a serious look at this one, so soon after buying my latest.... but how TEMPTING)... such classic lines...

Many thanks for showing me this wonderful camera

Mal.

Just because I had to, I did a little looking around for anything new on the Fuji X100 and found this site: Fujifilm Finepix X100 News & Rumors I can't say I know much about it, except that it's a WordPress blog and whoever it is that started it says they have no affiliation with Fuji. I thought those of us who are interested in this upcoming camera might find this blog worth keeping an eye on, especially if they can act as a up-to-date repository of news.

At last some news!

Finally some news! Just a few minutes ago I, and probably many who are reading this thread, received an email from Fuji regarding the FinePix X100.:D

I won't quote the email but will post the one of the links that Fuji included: What's New | FUJIFILM FinePix X100. The subjects discussed are Focussing Details, RAW functionality, Questions and Answers and What Others Say.

Happy reading. I'll be catching up myself later on today, but wanted to share this latest big smoke signal of news.

That's good advertising. I have to keep reminding myself of all the reasons I don't want one of these..... :eek:

So far, its working, but once it actually reaches the market its gonna get a LOT harder unless the initial reviews stink and/or the price comes in closer to $2000 than $1000. If its as good as I'm afraid its gonna be and the price is down around a grand, its gonna be a hell of an act of self-restraint not to end up with one. Even though I really don't want one for all sorts of good and rational reasons...

-Ray

I have just read through the "What's New" and made my way through some of the comments. Silly me, I thought we might hear from some early beta testers but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for that.

Showing my ignorance here but what is so great about a RAW button? Here is their description from their web page:
RAW functionality explained
The X100 captures 12-bit RAW images using the RAF file type that can be converted using customised Silkypix software; a copy of which is provided with the camera. Please note Fujifilm is co-operating fully to ensure that X100 RAF file support is added to third party applications as soon as possible. This compatibility is expected to be offered via a firmware update within a few months of launch.

Additional shooting information including the time it takes to write a RAW file and the X100's buffer capacity are to be confirmed.
There was also much discussion over the provision of a RAW button on the camera body. This button has two key functions. When shooting in JPEG mode, it enables the user to instantly capture both RAW and JPEG files, plus it also allows RAW files to be developed in camera.

Apparently one can program the Fn button to change the ISO...of course I'd think it would be better to have a dedicated ISO button, rather than a RAW button. I see it's coming with Silkypix. Personally, I pray that Lightroom will be on top of this camera when it comes out.:popcorm2:

well well well - 8 pages on a "figment of someones imagination" - well not quite - but I know what i mean

Spend your time looking at the 5 (bigger) pages of "Reported M8 problems" on the RF Forum - it's a sticky and far more interesting (IMHO)

Back