Fuji Fuji New Rangefinder form!

I'd better make sure my X1 doesn't read this. This camera looks as though it's going to be something really good.

Thanks so much for starting this thread, wt21! And let's keep this thread updated as we all learn more. Good going you all for your additions.:th_salute:

It's going to have to be REALLY REALLY good to be better than the X1 in the IQ dept! The View finder is a real boon with the X100 though and the price which isn't too silly.

I suspect the lens on the X1 will have the slight edge in quality, though this Fujinon will likely be something special. If I had an X1, I wouldn't be too disappointed. It's smaller than the X100 and I can go out and shoot with it right now. It'll probably be six months or longer before this camera will be available.

Yow, I just saw this on NikonRumors yesterday. That is sweet. Why did it take someone so long to do this? I have heard only gushing positives from every internet forum that's talking about it. If they don't rush this to market soon and slap a $500-800 price tag on it, they're missing the boat.

As far as no LCD goes, it would be tough for most people to stop chimping to make certain they've got the shot!

Attachments

• finepix_x100.jpg
    finepix_x100.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 223
At $1700 this is clearly aiming at and undercutting the X1.

Rangefinderforum is on fire over this camera. They'll buy'em up in droves. If the IQ is that good then I will too...

Not to quibble Andrew but not undercutting by much from a financial viewpoint..and by 2011, probably not at all. But then Leica will have the X2 out.;) So many cameras, so little money for them all.:tongue:

X100: The Pro and Cons for me

Like a lot of other people, I like what Fuji have done with the X100. For me the main features that impress me are the integration of the HD VF and optical to give the best of both, information and direct vision, without making a SLR hump and overhang. As others have said - why couldn't Leica (or Sigma or Ricoh) have done even a straightforward internal OVF - it was never not a size issue for 35mm compact film cameras.

The other advantage for me is using a fixed compact lens - not a time wasting, battery wasting, damage-prone telescoping lens system. Just hope it has a filter thread - so maybe you can attach a wide or tele auxiliary to acheive an easy to carry system - and of course you would still have an f2 max aperture.
And yes, an interchangeble lens mount would have been the icing on the cake, but nothing has it all, and the auxiliary lenses maybe a workable (economical) alternative.
Of course depending on the way the AF works may make using auxiliary a problem due to their weight on the lens barrel. The beauty of digital is that while the OVF wont be designed for these lenses, the rear LCD means you can still get 100% accurate framing - especially for close ups - that's something you can never get with a real rangefinder - digital or film.
The deal buster for me would be lack of any WR sealing: I have destroyed 1 DSLR , a film SLR and 5 canon powershots in the last decade due to water spalshes or immersion. as someone who wants to take a camera fishing or hiking in any weather, some WR sealing would be great (especially like my Pentax K-7 and kit zoom which has survived 30 cm submerging in a mountain stream).
May be a digital Fuji HD-M may follow soon ...?
Fuji_HDM.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The way the compact camera market is going, it seems that almost anything may be possible!

It is exciting. However, we have to remember that this camera isn't coming out until some time in 2011 and the details could and probably will change. Here's Fuji's direct word on their announced camera:Fujifilm announces development of Digital Camera FinePix X100. | Fujifilm Global

One thing they certainly did do right is the appearance - it's got the right, nostalgic rangefinder look that is certainly stoking interest! I can imagine some great ads for this if they want to continue with the retro feel.

Since I'd PM'd Bill to explain that I merged his thread about the new Fuji with this one, he was kind enough to respond to me via PM and suggested I post what he'd written to me about his hopes for this camera. So here you go, Bill and thank you!

Bill Gordon said:
I certainly will look forward to seeing the new Fuji because way back when I sold cameras the Fuginon lens was outstanding, of course all the Japanese lenses were!! I am convinced that if you have all the tools in the camera that we probably don't need inter-changable or zoom lenses....it then becomes necessary for us to use the tools that we learned, the thirds, s curves, framing and with a quality sensor should be able to crop for a tele shot!! Having said all that, I am going to continue to use the Oly until the new camera comes on the market and then let's see what happens. This is just the beginning because I am sure Canikon will jump in with both feet.

If you care to cut and paste this on the forum I would not have any objections, in fact it would same me the time!!

Cheers from up North of the 49th parallel!!
:D

Brian, thanks for these two links. I found the second one particularly interesting to read - nice site, too. I read both and have to agree that this camera has the potential to be what many have been wishing for. If they do decide to offer it with interchangeable lenses, I think they'll do even better.

And you're right, I was expecting it to be the size of the X1.

There are going to be a lot of hopes pinned on this camera.

Fuji X100 Size Comparison

Hi everyone,

Looooong time lurker, and now finally, a poster :)

I've put together a size comparison of the Fuji X100 with some compact cameras (Sigma DP2, Leica X1, Olympus E-P1, Leica M9, Samsung NX10 and Panasonic G2), and some not-so-compact cameras too (Epson R-D1s, Leica M9, Canon 550D/T2i and Nikon D90) Click here to see.

Feel free to read the rest of my article, and I look forward to your comments.

Back