Fuji Fuji Newbie - 100-400mm Quickie

JuSlaughter

Regular
Name
Julian Slaughter
Hi all

I picked up my XT1 yesterday after trading in some Canon gear. I have to say, I am impressed so far. As a future lens purchase, I had the 100-400mm high up there for wildlife. I have had a Canon 100-400 for years and years, and whilst happy with the results, they are not super sharp, and of course, is sucks dust into the camera.

Today, I walked into our local London Camera Exchange as it had just been refitted. The guy in there saw my XT1 and said he has a new toy for it and promptly took me to see the 100-400. Oooooooh, it's looked amazing. My first question, how heavy is it? He said not as light as you expect. He took it out of the cabinet and handed it to me. OMG, it was super light. I said that and he did say it felt lighter than it did yesterday. I asked if I could try it, se nods later it was attached to my new toy. After shooting Canon for years, the weight difference between 5D Mk 3 + 100-400mm vs the Fuji combination was simply unbelievable.

I fired off a few shots out in the street. Zooming in on the camera, once I figured out how to do it, showed how sharp this lens is. When I checked on my 27" iMac when I got home, it truly is soooooooo much sharper than my old Canon. I shall be purchasing one as soon as finances allow. This could spell the end of my remaining Canon gear.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions if you have a 100-400mm and whether the combo with the XT1 will be a viable wildlife setup.

Cheers

But isn't that the nice thing about Fuji? There is something for everyone. I have my sports and air show rig incorporating the 100-400, my tourist setup including the 14 and the 18-135 my street setup of 27, 35 and 50 and my portrait kit of 35, 56, 60 and 90. Beyond and around that I also have a choice of different body configurations.

Vive la difference, I say!

Agreed. I have no need or desire for the 100-400 today, but if something comes up where it would be useful, I love knowing that I wouldn't need to rent a whole new system just to get that kind of reach and sharpness. I'd just click the booger onto MY camera.

But isn't that the nice thing about Fuji? There is something for everyone. I have my sports and air show rig incorporating the 100-400, my tourist setup including the 14 and the 18-135 my street setup of 27, 35 and 50 and my portrait kit of 35, 56, 60 and 90. Beyond and around that I also have a choice of different body configurations.

Vive la difference, I say!
But it's like a lead brick! The XC 50-230 is a decent enough lens, surely Fuji can make a good long lens somewhere between these two?

GeraldH

It's very light for a lens of that focal length. Try a Nikon or Canon and see the difference! I'm hoping to get mine very soon!

It's very light for a lens of that focal length. Try a Nikon or Canon and see the difference! I'm hoping to get mine very soon!
Indeed, that is the very reason I've never got into DSLR. I'm sure you'll love the lens, it is more than capable of producing some stunning images. I'm just hoping that Fuji will produce a lighter cheaper long lens at some point.

GeraldH

50-230 is MUCH lighter, punches way above its weight in image quality and has a good reach. It was the longest lens in the system before the 100-400 and is a favourite long, lightweight travel lens, when the 100-400 is just too much of a handful.

Travelling light with the inexpensive Fujinon XC 50-230mm

That said, guess which lens I'm taking to the Farnborough Air Show tomorrow...
Agreed, the XC 50-230 is a cracking little lens for the money, an XC 200-400 as a lightweight alternative to the XF 100-400 would fly off the shelves I believe. Just my opinion.

GeraldH

Back