Fuji Fuji on the move

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Fuji seems to be very busy these days. X-Pro3 recently released. X-T4 coming soon. X100V with flippy screen. XC 35mm F2. The XT200 looks like a very interesting camera, but it's not weather sealed. Nor is the XC 35mm F2. Given the XT200 and XC 35mm are shown together in Fuji's ads, I'm guessing they were meant to go together, for those who want good IQ in a less expensive package. I'm not planning on buying a new camera any time soon, but I'm glad to see Fuji coming out with new gear. I've owned - sometimes briefly - gear from many different companies, in various sensor formats. I briefly gave serious consideration to picking up a Sony A6500, given I began with Sony when I first entered the MILC world. But Fuji fits me best, in a lot of ways. Actually, if the X-T line with their flippy screens had the EVF in the corner, like the Panasonic GX line, they would be darn near perfect.

Other comments from Fuji reps indicate it has a redesigned 23mm f2 lens, and they were seriously considering weather sealing. An X100V with a tilting screen and weather sealing might very well get me to abandon my position of never being an early adopter.

Weather sealing would cinch it for me. I grab the 23mm f2 for my one lens walk around/daily shooting. Weather sealing would mean I could grab it for off road trips, and other nonsense I get into.

Weather sealing would cinch it for me. I grab the 23mm f2 for my one lens walk around/daily shooting. Weather sealing would mean I could grab it for off road trips, and other nonsense I get into.
My first reaction was that I'd jump on an X100V with tilting screen and WR. The more I thought about it, I realized I already have that combination, the X-T1 + 23mm WR. While not as compact and with a sensor 4 generations old, the IQ I get is still very good.

You could have the "best" of both worlds with a clutch. (Olympus 17mm f/1.8 or Fuji's own 23/1.4.)

It would mean a slightly longer lens but I would welcome it.

true, but that is not the norm for Fuji or Olympus. It is more expense and they will most likely get reamed for adding in the extra cost a clutch and mechanical linkage would entail.

I’ve conceded to myself that if I want mechanical manual focus, I’m going to look to vintage lenses.

I use back button focus on my camera almost exclusively. I did keep a single old lens, a Pen F 38/1.8, and that's the only time I use mechanical MF. About the only time I use the focus ring on my 23mm WR is if I'm shooting up close and want to tweak the focus.

I was just on Instagram and Fujifilm North America reps were answering questions about the new XC 35mm f/2.

They responded to questions as follows, link to Instagram post at bottom:

PRICE
XC35mmF2 is expected to be available for sale in late February 2020 at $199.95 USD / $259.99 CAD.⁠

AF MOTOR
Does it have the same fast motor like xf 35 f2?
yes

OPTICS
Does this have the same optics as the XF version?
yes

MOUNT
Is it a plastic mount?
yes

Obviously not weather sealed, but a good indicator of how this lens might perform. Good to know. If my 35/1.4R ever dies and I want a budget replacement, then this is going to be the one!!

I also think it is great if Fuji brings this out for all the primes. Good to have options.

Back