Fuji Fuji prime lenses

I am to deduce something here ... lol ... as in oranges are a winter fruit ... (where I live we pretty much have citrus bearing trees all year long ... it thins out at times, but there is always fruit in an edible stage of development. Presently, the Mandarin Oranges are are green, Naval are green, Valencias are giant orange orbs of juicy delight, Meyers Lemons are pickable egg shaped wonderness of sour and the Limes are still a bit too green. We don't have a conservatory, (sounds terribly expensive), so we keep our trees outside. (I know it sounds barbaric, but that's what happens in the colonies.)

Gary

PS- When you visit I'll make homemade Sangria from fresh berries and fruit from the conservatory ... ahh .. yard. I am a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
G

I think you have to weigh convenience against quality.

I have both zooms along with 3 primes. The primes are noticeably better (sharpness and contrast) than the 18-55. Perhaps I just have a bad copy. The 55-200 is very good IMO.

Gary has made a good summary. I would suggest you wait for one of the regular Fuji offers and try one. (35 or 27 to start). If you don't you will never know.

I guess I will be a contrarian, or at least offer an alternate perspective. In fact, I will contradict my advice in a second post. There is no best answer but I hope this will encourage some thought.

I suggest you don't buy another lens. I suggest you wait. Why? Because you are happy with what you have and are enjoying your photography.

You are blissfully free of GAS!

The time to get the next lens is after you discover a photographic need and after going through the process of struggling with how best to fulfill that purpose. And wait till you have determined the best solution to your problem. This process will make you a better photographer because it will deepen your understanding.

For example, you might decide you want to photograph small things, which may lead you to a macro lens, although there are other methods.

Or you might have a hard time getting sharp enough images. This might lead you to a faster lens. Or it might lead you to the worlds sharpest lens (the old guys will know what I mean here :).

What I would do instead of getting another lens before the desire was driving me to distraction, is to pretend my zoom is a prime and leave it set at one focal length and take all my pictures at that focal length.

Version 2: gather all your favorite images. Figure out which focal length most of them are taken at. Get a lens as close to that length, lock your zooms in a drawer and only use that lens for a couple weeks.

Version 3: get a lens unlike what you have and only use that for a couple weeks.

Unlike could mean fast (f1.2 or 1.4) and then take all your images for those two weeks with the lens at maximum aperture.

Or get a macro and only take pictures of thing two feet or closer to your lens.

Or get a really wide lens.

Or get the worlds sharpest lens and only take pictures with that.

Ok, I have stirred up enough trouble...

That's a really good post.
I guess I will be a contrarian, or at least offer an alternate perspective. In fact, I will contradict my advice in a second post. There is no best answer but I hope this will encourage some thought.

I suggest you don't buy another lens. I suggest you wait. Why? Because you are happy with what you have and are enjoying your photography.

You are blissfully free of GAS!

The time to get the next lens is after you discover a photographic need and after going through the process of struggling with how best to fulfill that purpose. And wait till you have determined the best solution to your problem. This process will make you a better photographer because it will deepen your understanding.

For example, you might decide you want to photograph small things, which may lead you to a macro lens, although there are other methods.

Or you might have a hard time getting sharp enough images. This might lead you to a faster lens. Or it might lead you to the worlds sharpest lens (the old guys will know what I mean here :).

What I would do instead of getting another lens before the desire was driving me to distraction, is to pretend my zoom is a prime and leave it set at one focal length and take all my pictures at that focal length.

Back