Fuji Fuji raw highlight headroom?

mike3996

Legend
Leica has little to none headroom in the highlights, Olympus has at least a stop.

How do the newer Fujis (X-Trans 3/4) possess highlight recoverability? I know I could be downloading sample files and playing with them myself but I don't know the shooting conditions behind the samples, and longer-term users's feedback appreciated.

I've always found the Fuji RAW and JPG files just about as good as the Nikon I've used for years. Not sure if that means a lot to you.

Here is an example I shot yesterday. Exposing for the interior, which blew out the outside.
One shot is the RAW juist converted to JPG, the other is processed RAW. Lightroom did -2 exposure comp and -200 highlights. Used a gradient mask,s only the outside was affected.

Hope this gives you some useful data to work with.

RAW --> JPG no processing
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW --> JPG recovering highlights and exposure comp applied.
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thank you. Frankly I'm not sure if the picture helps me understand with the clipped highlights (btw the 16mm f/2.8 is already out?) but I have heard good things about Nikon's files.

With Olympus I can take a normal evaluative reading from the camera, push it +1 EC and still be sure I can recover it in post. Yet another way the brave little m4/3 sensor gains another stop if used with consideration. It's a big relief not having to sweat over clipped highlights if you shoot from the hip or something. Of course you can do the same with Leica, just pull -1 EV but there's bound to be noise if you have to push your files in post on a regular basis.

Not sure when the 16/2.8 dropped, but walked into the camera store on 3/23 and they had one there.

That sample above was pushed +1 1/3 stops. The outside was already clipping a bit but I wanted more emphasis on the cup inside the building.

Back